Hash, Inc. Forums

Bouncy Soft Body Ball

• Hash Fellow

At the last Live Answer Time I had trouble getting a satisfactory bouncy ball with Bullet soft body dynamics

Here is a more successful attempt with a quadish-topology ball with more patches and the patches of uniform size.

From left to right the balls have "stiffness" of 0.01, 0.1 and 1

All4Ball005b weight comparison.prj

• Like 1

Thanks for posting!   An interesting comparison.

In the Disney animation school I've heard that the fledgling animators have to make a bouncing, 

1) Bowling ball

2) Basketball

3) Ping pong ball

to show they understand the significance of spacing. It might be a fun exercise to try adapting the parameters on those three balls to match the Disney test.

Thanks again.

Tom

This is off topic to what we were discussing above.....

...but I was playing around with Dust,Mist and Steam this morning and it looks like none of those are affected by "Forces". Is that a correct assumption?

I'm guessing that "Forces" need some sort of particle to affect for "Forces" to work...

I'm thinking about animating "wind" and I'm guessing it needs to be some sort of particle for it to animate...(and be visible)

Do you know if anyone has done a "wind" project?

Tom

• Hash Fellow
37 minutes ago, Tom said:

...but I was playing around with Dust,Mist and Steam this morning and it looks like none of those are affected by "Forces". Is that a correct assumption?

I'm guessing that "Forces" need some sort of particle to affect for "Forces" to work...

That is correct. Volumetric effects are almost like a Photoshop filter that is painted in after the image is rendered.

You can add a turbulence to the effect to give it texture and animate that to move through it.

Example:

I'm thinking about animating "wind" and I'm guessing it needs to be some sort of particle for it to animate...(and be visible)

Do you know if anyone has done a "wind" project?

We "see" wind because of what it moves. Leaves, tree branches, dust...

Nice flash light effect...

So if you have a misty graveyard scene and Frankenstein (or Thom) walks through it, the mist will not part or swirl around the character? That will have to be done with some sort of particle setup?...and I have no idea how that would be achieved...

• Hash Fellow
11 hours ago, Tom said:

Nice flash light effect...

thanks!

So if you have a misty graveyard scene and Frankenstein (or Thom) walks through it, the mist will not part or swirl around the character?

Not with "volumetric" effects

That will have to be done with some sort of particle setup?...and I have no idea how that would be achieved...

Particles.

I can't think of an animated movie where that has ever been explicitly shown rather than merely hinted at. It's the kind of thing you only see in heavy metal videos.

One problem is that A:M particles can "die on contact" with a surface but otherwise are not affected. A force would have to be somehow on the surface of the surface and forcing the particles out of the way.

Here are tests of cigarette smoke with particles which is like a very small mist. You have to full screen it and turn off the lights to see the smoke

https://youtu.be/uHHIUwYG5N0

https://youtu.be/Egdd7k5Yr2g

https://youtu.be/YgJl2mTNT48

Interesting videos!

It occurred to me that the "GreenGas" project you created a while back looked very cool. If you could somehow have the streaks hanging in the air then a vortex force could swirl them around as a character walked by.

The only thing is how would you get those streaks to "hang in the air" long enough? Maybe have a very slow emittor on the ground like mist rising?

Maybe a Saturday Live Chat topic?

• Hash Fellow
1 hour ago, Tom said:

Interesting videos!

If you could somehow have the streaks hanging in the air then a vortex force could swirl them around as a character walked by.

The only thing is how would you get those streaks to "hang in the air" long enough? Maybe have a very slow emittor on the ground like mist rising?

You would give them  longer life span so they last the duration of the shot.