Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Modeling Basics: A Few Types Of Models

J. S. Potter

This is intended more for the newbies out there to help you to get acquainted with the software.

Yes, you can move on to modeling more organic pieces fairly quickly, but I would encourage you to take some time and really learn what is possible with the more "mechanical" forms.

I'll be posting examples (pics and models) of each of these soon, but this is a list of models that are a combination of various shapes (squares, rectangles, circles, spheres, and so on) that, when put together, give you quite a bit that you can actually use in various projects.  There are an endless variety of sizes and shape combinations.  And, these can vary from realistic to cartoony.

When modeling, I have found that the extrude, lathe, rotate, and scale tools along with mirror mode are extremely helpful.

There are plenty of reference pics out there, so I encourage you to collect images to inspire you.

Please feel free to share your own.

1. Headstones - .  From the simple cross to markers that are much more elaborate. And this includes fencing, gates, crypts, and mausoleums.

2. Buildings - From simple village huts to tall skyscrapers, gothic to futuristic, these models will give you a better perspective on relative size.

3. Spaceships - From the simple flying saucer to more detailed large battlecruisers, small fighters, and immense cargo ships and space stations.  These will also help with relative size.

4. Robots - from simple personal servants to industrial workers to assault droids.  Walking on two legs, four legs, rolling on tank treads, wheel(s), or just hovering

5. Science Lab Equipment - From Steampunk to Mad Scientist to Futuristic.  Test tubes, panels, switch plates, oscillators, generators, and more.

And, not to be left out.

6.  Nurnies (Greebles) - all those bits and bobs that appear on buildings, spaceships, and robots.  Intake ducts, weapons systems, external lights, windows, panels, and more.

I'm going to spend the next few weeks, creating a a bunch of each type to share with the community.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great post!

Timely, too. I've been trying to think of some good things to model that would be challenging enough to make me learn the software and spline modeling in general, but that wouldn't be so far beyond me (at this point) that it would be discouraging.

I've been thinking about modeling a set of dragon dice. Some of the shapes would be simple enough. But a few are real head-scratchers. At least for me. The 12, 10 and 20 sided in particular. 

For more organic modeling, I've looked for some reference images for characters, ranging from simple to more detailed and figure I can work my way up through them.  I've doodled with face and head modeling in other programs, and the part that always throws me is knowing where to place the lines/polys/splines on areas where neither the side nor front view shows a clear contour, like along the cheeks, etc. That's why I figure starting with simple characters would be a good way to approach it.

Anyhow, some very good suggestions to get started in this post.