Hash, Inc. Forums

BUMP SEAMS, AAAARRRR!

svetlik

Damn SEAMS!!!! Can't get rid of them. Only "seams" to happen with bump mapping. Tried stretching, shrinking the seam in Action to compensate but to no avail. Bump is fine everywhere but the seam. It is an image applied after the color decal using the "add image" function. I expected to get some kind of seam from mapping front and back half of the model but wtf is this?  Please see attached and thanks in advance for any help. I can't think of anything else to try.

BumpSeams.jpg

SeamLine.jpg

• Hash Fellow

The smearing on the edge is because the splines need to turn such a tight corner from the front side to the back.

It's not obvious with the color map because there doesn't seem to be small color details that would reveal it.

My preference for face decaling is to use cylindrical mapping which leaves only one seam on the very back of the head instead of one on each side. The adjustment of the mesh before decaling is also easier than the "flatten" method. Describing that is a bit beyond a few sentences, however.

Here is my series on the conventional "Flatten" approach which will still get you two seams, but farther back so they are less obvious.

That's ok Robcat, enjoy your 4th.  I'm one of those pathetic people who don't do anything on the holidays. This isn't an emergency just tinkering. I'll shoot for next Sat. then and thanks for the responses.

• Hash Fellow

It will be a good topic for next week end!

Ultra short cylindrical concept...

You can "cylindrical" apply a decal to a head and have just one seam at the back but there will be overlaps, like the back of the ears or the inside of the nose or under the chin...

What if you made a Pose that unfolded those features so that they were all outwardly exposed around the vertical axis? Then apply the decal in that pose. Everything is covered once and only once, with minimal patch distortion and there is just one seam on the back to have to paint around.