Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Boolean experiment for stl exporting

fae_alba

In using A:M to create 3D models I've run into persistent challenges when trying to create a hole thru a solid body. For instance, for my seagull I need to model a servo mount with mechanical mount points for the servo. I want to model in screw holes so I'm not stuck with drilling and tapping after a print is done. Normally I would model a cylinder and stitch that into the model, but that always comes with messy splining, or a bunch of 5 point patches half of which can't be closed. So, I thought what about a boolean cutter? Could I use that to place a hole where I need it, then will the stl exporter see it and generate the proper code.

So I tried, and and while the boolean works in A:M, sadly the stl exporter doesn't understand what to do with it. So my quandry now is this. What is the best way to stitch in a tube without messy patches?

test.mdl

Capture1.PNG

Capture1.PNG

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

My suggestion would be to export the model and the cutter as separate models, then do the boolean cut in one of those programs that  one uses to clean up/fix polygon meshes for printing, using one to cut the other.