Hash, Inc. Forums

Shatter customized maps?

Tom

Hello-

I noticed this effect in the fantastic animated clip entitled "The Tale of the Three Brothers" from a Harry Potter's film.

Her dress shatters as the character dies and if you notice, her dress shatters as small rectangles. My question is, is there a way to have a model shatter but customize the shapes of the exploding pieces? Let's say that you want the dress to explode like the different suits of a card deck (attached)...is that possible? Is there some way to pre-cut the exploding parts (with a cookie cutter map or...?)

(Maybe a Live Saturday chat topic?)

Thanks for any help!

Tom

Suits.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I recall Paul Forewood showed a very convincing demo of a shape blowing away as particles. I regret that we never got to hear his explanation.

My notion is something along that line.

I look forward to seeing Serg's solution also!

• Hash Fellow
4 hours ago, Wildsided said:

Cards go boom. Admittedly over-sized cards but they do uniformly go boom

That's good Dan, that informed our discussion today at LAT.

Was that done with Newton or Bullet?

Tom, here is the "S to streaks" project I showed. This ZIP contains the baking files for the particle systems, unzip it all into one folder.

Baking makes it easier to scrub back and forth in the timeline. If you want to change anything and see the changes you need to Unbake the particles first.

EDIT: See UNBaked version below.

Many thanks again to Rob for another invigorating tutorial!

Can't wait to study the S to Streaks project and go over the recorded session. Animation Master is really an astounding program (when explained by an expert!)...

....and dollar for dollar is one of the best buys out there.

Tom

Rob-

I unzipped the S_to_Streaks project and this (attached) error message popped up. I tried clicking through it but it just keeps cycling this message with different ".pai" files. And then starts at the beginning again.

I don't think it will even give me the chance to un-bake the files. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

error.jpg

• Hash Fellow
14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Rob-

I unzipped the S_to_Streaks project and this (attached) error message popped up. I tried clicking through it but it just keeps cycling this message with different ".pai" files. And then starts at the beginning again.

Whoops! Sorry.

Here is the unbaked version. I'll delete the ZIP.

StoParticles08_UNBaked.prj

• Hash Fellow
20 hours ago, serg2 said:

The idea of a lesson on a burning ball is well realized here. (I can’t find that old lesson - it seems from Brian Prince) + Sparticles

I think you're talking about a "material effector"?

I had an interesting idea and that is , what would it look like in reverse. Particles coming together to form something. I took the render into After Effects and reversed the order. 

I don't think having particles come together to form specific models would be easily doable in AM.

Does anyone know  whether it is doable as shown in the new video? Or is the best way to render normally and reverse the frames like was done here?

If it was doable, there could be some interesting scenes of things exploding and coming together while skipping the step of exporting specific frames,reversing them and then re-composting them afterwards.

Tom

• Hash Fellow

If "Bake Particle Systems"  created keyframes in the chor one could select them and do rmb>flip>X-axis.

However, baking isn't editable like that. Reversing the video in post likely the way to do it.

• Hash Fellow

The baked files are all rather inscrutable binary, unlike most A:M files.

However, I presume with some comparative analysis one could deduce the format and figure out a way to reverse it.