Hash, Inc. Forums

Unreal Engine 5 Demo

• Hash Fellow

A core challenge for using any alternate renderer is that you will need to replace every A:M texture with something made in that alternate renderer.

I'm currently learning C++ with an eye to knowing more about game engines but I have nothing to report as yet.

Gerald Zum Gahr AKA Fuchur has some utilities in his signature for exporting A:M to game engines.

• Like 1

• Hash Fellow
13 hours ago, robcat2075 said:

A core challenge for using any alternate renderer is that you will need to replace every A:M texture with something made in that alternate renderer.

I'll amend that to note that textures that have been baked into bitmaps may not need replacement. However there are some textures that can not be reproduced by bitmaps.

• Like 1

I find the Unreal Engine pretty hard to understand, but I have used Unity3d in the past for a couple of projects. Not really for rendering but for smaller 3d game projects and Mixed Reality Tests.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

22 hours ago, Fuchur said:

I find the Unreal Engine pretty hard to understand, but I have used Unity3d in the past for a couple of projects. Not really for rendering but for smaller 3d game projects and Mixed Reality Tests.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

It is an unusual program... I've been finding the interface takes some getting used to.
So many programs to play with so little time.  :D

Thanks for making the exporters and tutorials available Fuchur!

I had done animations a very long time ago for the Unreal engine. I used 3ds Max at the time and there was a plug-in to do just that. Not sure if you can import direct x files into the Unreal engine or not but you can look into Garagegames Torque engine. It is a little dated but last I checked it accepted direct x files.

The Unreal engine isn't all that tough to work in but I found it unstable. Way back I used to make 3d models of my map bases in a poly modeler preferably one that supported quads, exported an obj file and used that geometry to subtract my map from the world.

I believe the licensing for Unreal is pretty high if you plan on making a retail game.

On 5/18/2020 at 11:19 PM, pixelplucker said:

I had done animations a very long time ago for the Unreal engine. I used 3ds Max at the time and there was a plug-in to do just that. Not sure if you can import direct x files into the Unreal engine or not but you can look into Garagegames Torque engine. It is a little dated but last I checked it accepted direct x files.

The Unreal engine isn't all that tough to work in but I found it unstable. Way back I used to make 3d models of my map bases in a poly modeler preferably one that supported quads, exported an obj file and used that geometry to subtract my map from the world.

I believe the licensing for Unreal is pretty high if you plan on making a retail game.

Thanks Ken,

Not familiar with the Torque engine, I'll check it out!... it is an extra step importing from A:M to Unreal since it uses FBX.

Sounds like Epic Games is trying to make it easier for developers and artists.
They are making it royalty free until you make your first million.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/05/unreal-engine-is-now-royalty-free-until-a-game-makes-a-whopping-1-mill/

• 2 weeks later...