Hash, Inc. Forums

lonely as a cloud

• 3 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
On 2/22/2020 at 10:52 AM, Tom said:

How would it look if it was animated?  like rolling clouds...

On 3/15/2020 at 12:34 PM, Xtaz said:

Amazing results.... Did you try animate it ?

Thanks, guys!

The ones that are primarily a material effect have have the most potential i think...

(full screen it)

PRJ:   StratusCloud007d.prj

(set your Options>Rendering to "Use settings from the Camera")

• Like 1

• Hash Fellow
1 hour ago, Tom said:

The cloud using the "material Effect" really looks like an evolving cloud.

Would you be able to post a project to show how it was done?

I have added it to the post with that movie.

I am going through the project that you posted but it seems very advanced so it is going to take me a while to digest it. I'm still trying to figure out how you added a material when there were no "groups" in the model.

I know it shows my ignorance but could you explain the steps of that project in a few sentences ?

Many thanks,

Tom

• Hash Fellow

Hi, Tom.  It goes something like this...

The Material is a Gradient combiner that increases transparency vertically from 0% at the Start to 100% at the End. It also has a Turbulence on it to make the increase look mottled

The cloud is modeled as a long V-shaped channel

The Material was dropped on the cloud model (no groups needed) to color the whole model. The material makes the bottom of the V-channel opaque and fade to transparent at the upper edges.

In the Chor, the turbulence can be keyframed to move vertically so that the mottled effect of the transparency appears to move up the sides of the V. This is how my Fire! is animated.

https://forums.hash.com/topic/49678-fire/

However, the model has a pose slider (Pose 2) that flattens the V-shape so that all the CPs are level with the bottom CPs. This Pose is set to 100% in the Chor.

The material, applied on the model, is unaware of this shape change so the animated mottling is still moving up the sides of the V, but the sides are now horizontal because of the Pose slider. The mottling appears to move from the middle of the cloud shape (originally the bottom of the V channel) to the front and trailing edges.

Robert-

Have studied the project and am amazed at the cleverness of how you assembled the pieces! Well done!

The material and animation is presently applied to a flat model. Do you think that if the model were designed differently (like a circular shape) the clouds could be made to unfold as they do in the attached time lapse clip?

Tom

• Hash Fellow
3 hours ago, Tom said:

Robert-

Have studied the project and am amazed at the cleverness of how you assembled the pieces! Well done!

Thanks!

The material and animation is presently applied to a flat model. Do you think that if the model were designed differently (like a circular shape) the clouds could be made to unfold as they do in the attached time lapse clip?

It's a tall order. Have you tried anything?