Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Madfox

patch question

I have this model from turbosquid, and I tried to outrun the skinny lines of the verts by rendering it in toon setting.

What I wondered about is the patching of a squad with a centerpoint.

The rendering wants to make it a pyramidical shape, but for some reason there always appears a square over it.

I know there is a way to patch a five edged subject, but is there a way to delete the square above the five pointed object? 

patch03.jpg

I presume that is happening because there are four splines that create a legal patch among them even though they may have other patches in their midst, and yet it is not a patch in the group that creates the skin color.

It is difficult to get that to happen in an A:M model but a triangle polygon import like this probably has patches on top of patches on top of patches.

Of course I don't suggest importing a triangle model at all, it will never work well, but you you could try re-adding all those CPs into the group that makes the skin color.

Oh, now I see. It seems these counterparts just occure randomly but can be solved.

Well, thats better than patching the wrong ones together.

Thanks for your advice.

patch04.jpg

If there were a quads version of that model that would be a better way to go.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:10 AM, robcat2075 said:

If there were a quads version of that model that would be a better way to go.

^ This. 

It might be worth importing the model into Blender and using its Tri's to Quads functionality. Would save a lot of time removing and reorganizing splines.