Hash, Inc. Forums

A:M on Mac Catalina?

Rodney

• Hash Fellow

I'm sure it's probably hopeless.

Why macOS Catalina is breaking so many apps, and what to do about it

...For one, this update is the first for Apple to drop 32-bit application support, which is causing all sorts of headaches for users of smaller apps, plug-ins, and other software that may not be updated for quite some time or may have been created by a company that no longer exists...

• Admin

In the event you do end up holding out, there is one thing you’ll want to do: head over to Settings, click Software Update, and uncheck the box for “Automatically keep my Mac up to date.” That will ensure that your Mac doesn’t try to sneakily install the update on your behalf. Most Mac users have this box checked by default, so you’ll have to manually turn off the setting to avoid a forced Catalina install.

*emphasis added

• Admin

I've seen a few more optimistic reports outside of the doom and gloom scenarios with Mac Catalina.

This has me wishing I had a Mac to test with.

Here's a link worth reading:  How to Run 32-Bit Apps in macOS Catalina

Additionally, it is reported that ALL executables have to be run at least once via the Finder/terminal before they can run 'normally'.

While something of a pain I find this to be a nice security feature.

Then you'd mainly have to be on guard for someone trying to trick you into installing a nefarious application.

• Hash Fellow
36 minutes ago, Rodney said:

I've seen a few more optimistic reports outside of the doom and gloom scenarios with Mac Catalina.

This has me wishing I had a Mac to test with.

Here's a link worth reading:  How to Run 32-Bit Apps in macOS Catalina

That sounds cool. I presume that if Mac A:M users want to try this they will need to parallel install something earlier than Mojave. The last MacOs that ran A:M well was somewhat earlier.