Hash, Inc. Forums

lut files

steve392

I don't think A:M is set up to use Look Up Tables...I would think that you would use those in post processing.  Render your images using a linear workflow (1.0 gamma, correcting your colors and lighting for that) and use whatever LUT you want in your color grading program (maybe Da Vinci Resolve...here).

Here are some links that might be useful:

DesiredGamma.mp4

linearization.zip

RGBlinear post

Gamma discussion thread

DaVinci Resolve 15 Tutorial : Color Grading Crash Course

Davinci Resolve 16 Color Grading For Beginners

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, steve392 said:

Thank,s for your reply guys  and the links David I use it on images sometimes and it changes the lighting very well  but I don't have a video editor that will use lut files just wonderd

Da Vinci Resolve is a video editor and compositor...there is a free version for personal use.

• Admin

Da Vinci Resolve is a video editor and compositor...there is a free version for personal use.

And not just personal use... commercial use too!

Davinci Resolve does require quite a bit of RAM but if I could get away with it I would twist everyone's arm and strongly suggest everyone should standardize on Resolve as a common video editor.  This isn't to say that other video editors could not be used but that Resolve would be the standard used in collaborative projects.  Why?  Because then everyone could share notes, files and such with minimum hassle as well as take advantage of some very powerful tools.

Regarding LUTs, a very good reason to use Resolve is that Resolve is one of the standard applications for color correcting in the industry and so it's a solid foundation from which to do look development with LUTs.  A few short years ago that was really the only thing Resolve was used for.  It's only of late that Resolve has gained video editing, composting and effects, 3D, audio and distribution capability.

The price certainly is right.  It's hard to compete with 'free'.

As I say though, Resolve does require quite a bit of RAM but it's good to have a lot of RAM with Animation:Master too.  :)

• Admin

I see that there is a free course on using LUTs with Davinci Resolve on the Film Simplified site: 

https://filmsimplified.com/p/using-luts-in-davinci-resolve-crash-course

Course Curriculum 

Intro

• What is a LUT?
  • The 2 types of LUTs
  • LUTs file format

Using LUTs

• Loading LUTs into Resolve
  • Applying LUTs to footage
  • Adjusting the look of a LUT
  • Adjusting node power
  • Exporting LUTs

The problem is getting it into AM  somehow or do it after the render .having problems with the internet at the moment lots of storms here and mucho rain .I installed win 10 and am trying to put apps back on  have some that it tells me its not allowing for some reason   beginning to wish I had stuck with 7 lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

If you have QuickTime installed, make sure your browsers are set to not play any QuickTime content or ever use QuickTime to play anything in a browser.

QuickTime has security bugs that they will not be fixing.

I presume just using it as a standalone app is safe, that is what I do,  but i don't know that.