Hash, Inc. Forums

Prehistoric! Image Contest! Deadline December 20!

• Hash Fellow

The 2019 Summer Image Contest is here!

Entry date extended to... December 20!

It's...

Topic: Prehistoric!

Prizes:

• Every entrant gets a Texas Lottery Card for The Big Scratch-Off!
  • Fourth thru tenth place finishers will receive a Top Ten certificate so suitable for framing you get a dollar to buy a frame.
  • The elegant Image Contest Medal is awarded to the top three finishers.
  • Hash Store Gift Credits. $150, $100 and $75 for the top three finishers, two $25 credits randomly awarded among 4th -10th place finishers and one $25 randomly awarded among the remaining entrants. Big thanks to Hash for providing these!
  • Wow... A 3D print of the winning entry and one entry randomly chosen from the top ten! We will need access to the model files to do this, the winners are allowed to decline. In that case or if the model somehow does not lend itself to 3D printing a full color poster-size 2D print of the entry will be substituted.

Rules:

• All entries must be modeled and rendered in Animation:Master. A paint program may be used for texturing.
  • Entries may be in any vertical or horizontal format with a shortest side of 1000 720 pixels
  • Submit a Shaded Wireframe render with your Final render.
  • Submit your entry to robcat2075 in a PM (private message) on the forum.
  • Include a title for your work in your PM
  • TGA files are preferred to JPG
  • This contest is organized and operated by Robert Holmén. All rules are subject to his interpretation, whims and fancies.
  • Deadline September 30 November 30!

Use the "Follow" button at upper right to subscribe to this thread and stay up to date on contest announcements!

Keep your eyes peeled for Prehistoric tutorials!

Start planning your Prehistoric image now! If you get stuck on something, ask on the forum. There is always someone with an answer and they would be delighted if their tip got your entry over the finish line.

Don't miss out on...

PRE...HIS...TORIC...toric... toric... toric !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Got my main plan and a few sketches... now to press into the splines and patches.

wait, what? you're planning and doing sketches?!?! Next thing you're going to tell me that you read the instruction manual too!

• Admin

Ha!

Initial sketches complete.  That gets me on the right track every time.**

As near as I can tell, forever 'reading the manual' is what keeps me from ever finishing a contest entry!  ;) 

**I'm a little frustrated with my current sketches because they aren't from the 'proper' camera angle I envision the final image to be in.

But I need to accept that and just dive in at this point because things always change in the process of converting ideas to splines and patches anyway.  Although, I would like to do a few more thumbnails just to feel more of that wonderful sensation of pencil on paper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

giant Canadian pterosaur

‘Frozen Dragon of the North’

(page takes a long time to load ads >: )

the video has a brief turn of a model they made of the creature and is the first time I'm understood how they could walk with their wings folded and used as front legs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

Prehistoric tutorial! (It's old!)

If you are working on a laptop without a numeric keypad or one of those newfangled tablets that has no keyboard at all... you need the onscreen numeric keypad to navigate the viewport!

• Hash Fellow

Prehistoric tutorial! (It's old!)

Learn to use A:M's auto backup feature!

I was working on a complicated Smart Skin today and had a crash. i hadn't saved my work in nearly half an hour... but A:M had made a save just two minutes earlier! That saved me a lot of rework.

• Hash Fellow

Prehistoric tutorial!

Your creature will need some decals to ugly him up.

"Snapshot" helps you get your wireframes into your paint program, and get your decals back out with perfect alignment!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

Along with some snazzy entries, I've heard about some sudden family disruptions and gotten a few "the dog ate my dinosaur" messages so I'll keep the deadline window open for a few days more so that no one has to skip their Turkey dinner to get their entry done.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Hash Fellow

Still taking entries!

Quick Prehistoric tip:

If you are doing anything with Hair, don't use Preroll. Set Preroll to zero.

Instead of setting your Hair material to use one second of Preroll, and trying to render your scene at frame 00:00, set PreRoll to zero and render your scene at  01:00.

For some reason A:M is way faster calculating hair motion after 00:00 than before 00:00.

One second will give most hair a chance to settle, if you need more, render farther down the line.

PreRollZero.JPG

• Hash Fellow

While we're waiting for a few entries to get over the finish line, if anyone has revisions or extra touches added to their entry since they submitted you may send those in.

I'll note that I've reduced the minimum res to 720 pixels. There is no need to re-render if yours was already larger.

Hey Rob- responding to your 'pre-roll' tip... above. I have been revisiting A:M and some of my models- and as you may remember I do a lot of work and research with A:M hair feature, trying to push it to it's limits. I have not had any troubles with the pre-roll feature and find it is quite a nice part of A:M's toolset... another feature that the other apps I have toyed with do not consider to include. I find whether you do your pre-roll before or after the zero frame the calculation times are similar. I don't want the programmers to think this is broken feature as I use it quite regularly and feel it works as advertised.

For those who may wonder... what does pre-roll do? On the model in the image attached I have 2 types of hair. 1- the short bangs which are groomed in A:M's groom mode and 2- the long flowy hair that falls behind the head and shoulders. For the long hair, if I were to just start rendering on frame 0-forward, the hair would be sticking straight out from the patches normals, kind of like the effect you get at a science fair when you touch the electric ball that sends static electricity thru your body and makes your hair stand on end. So- a period of a couple seconds is needed to let the hair fall according to the gravity settings and its mass settings, and if it falls over something and collision-detection is activated... it 'should' be affected by the geometry and not pass thru.

HNY2_000.png

• Hash Fellow

I'll give pre-roll another look after the contest, Matt! In my own PRJ it was way faster to build the hair settling time into the regular chor time instead of using pre-roll.

BTW, I'm still accepting entries! Until Dec. 20!

If any already-entered entrants have refinements they want to swap in, I'll take them!

If any potential entries are still in the pipeline, I'd love to get them in the contest!

Don't miss out!