Hash, Inc. Forums

Strewth !

Simon Edmondson

A FB friend  is quite a successful comic artist here in the UK. He posted this today.

"Most bizarre 'I want to get into comics' request ever --

A guy starts messaging me on FB. He wants to work as an artist in comics, or maybe films. Could I help him get started? I ask whether he's done any work in the field I could look at. He hasn't. Nothing at all.

But he has a cunning plan to sidestep all that 'having to actually produce samples' stuff...

He's seen on twitter that Duncan Jones is producing a Rogue Trooper movie and also doing some comic-book work. Matey-boy wants to show my art to Jones. He thinks Jones will be interested in my stuff, and as a reward for having 'discovered me', he thinks Jones might thank him by offering him a job.

( I guess he missed the inconvenient facts that I've met Jones and spoken to him, he's collaborating with a publisher I've worked with for more than three decades and his film is the adaptation of a story I've worked on more times than I could count. So there's just the faintest possibility that he might have already passingly 'discovered' my work. )

Tempting.

I reluctantly decided to pass on his kind offer. "

Strewth is an old  UK exclamation when you can't think of the right words, ( its a shortening of "its the truth" but does service in other areas too)

• 2 weeks later...