Hash, Inc. Forums

Rendering Bug in V 19.0i S SE4 [solved]

Hello Hashers-

Just installed V 19 Oi SSE4 (64 Bit PC) and when I try to render an "Avi" file I get the error message:

"Import Null Object"

I hit "OK" and it then says

"Unable to save file"

Hmmmmmm,................ not quite sure what to make of it but I wondered if anyone had suggestions? (or workarounds)

I can render the animation as single frames, but, it is really nice to test animation with an avi file beforehand...

Many thanks!

Tom

• Hash Fellow

that is weird because MS video 1 should be a standard codec that always works.

Or it is?

The available AVI codecs are all pretty terrible quality-wise.

I'll note that you can still use Quicktime in the 32-bit version of A:M

Guest follow up question

Even though I have been able to render avi files directly to a hard drive, you had mentioned that you can play image sequences directly in AM.

How do you do that?

I tried using the "Render Animation Preview" button but it only gives me the "Save As" option. Is there a way to replay the "Render Animation Preview" without saving it?

Many thanks,

• Hash Fellow
12 minutes ago, Guest follow up question said:

Even though I have been able to render avi files directly to a hard drive, you had mentioned that you can play image sequences directly in AM.

How do you do that?

I tried using the "Render Animation Preview" button but it only gives me the "Save As" option. Is there a way to replay the "Render Animation Preview" without saving it?

After you render an image sequence in the conventional manner, before you close the render window, you can press the Play button to play  the rendered frames, just like you would press Play to see an animation play in Shaded or Wire frame mode in your choreography window.

Aside from that, in the PWS you can RMB>Images>Import>Animation or Image Sequence to load an image sequence into your Images folder much as you would if you were going to use an image sequence as an animated decal.

Double click on it in the PWS to show it in the Viewport and press Play to play it, as before.

Loading all the frames is memory-hungry. Very hi-res or very long sequences may not work well. I also find that the smoothness of the playback improves after two or three plays. It will also play better if the PWS timeline is zoomed out enough so that it doesn't have to scroll as the sequence is played.

My own workflow is to always render to targa sequences, then use some video editing tool like After Effects to compress the sequence into a video format that is appropriate for my end purpose.

But if you want to quickly check on animate sequence, A:M can load it and play it.