Hash, Inc. Forums

Rocket Smoke question

Tom

One last question....completely unrelated to the decal mapping question.

I am trying to create a plume of smoke like the kind that happens when a rocket is about to launch. (see the "red line" in the picture below)

I am struggling to understand how the sprites can react to the force AND gravity and create that cool looking plume that rolls in on itself. In the zipped Project I attached I create an invisible channel to help shape the plume ........but my smoke is a dud.

The project file is zipped (but it is in V. 18) so if any adjustments are made, please do them in V. 18...thank you,

Any suggestions are welcome...

Tom

SmokePattern.jpg

RocketPlume.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Hash Fellow
8 hours ago, Madfox said:

A year later and I'm looking for the same kind of effect. The Rocketplume has a smaller size than the later example.

Do you have a reference image of what you want yours to look like?

That will be essential.

Rob-

I only just now (may 25)  saw your post on May 2 showing your rocket plume animation. Very Good!

I was also looking at your "green fart gas " example (from a few weeks ago)  which had some similarities with the rocket plume attempt.

Do you know if/when that "opacity over time" issue will be addressed? That would probably add to the animation.

Thanks for the example.

Tom

• Hash Fellow
54 minutes ago, Tom said:

Do you know if/when that "opacity over time" issue will be addressed? That would probably add to the animation.

It has been fixed in some version since then. I'll need to dig this all up and re-study this

Do you have a reference image of what you want yours to look like?

I was trying to do the same thing in the fractal sum question with a thunderbird launch. (lunch08.avi).

I tried to copy the effect, but I have no SmokeBallF.

• Hash Fellow

@Madfox @Tom

Here is a PRJ you can experiment with.

RCH_Plume03j sample.prj

SmokeBallA.tga

SmokeBallB.tga

Notes...

• There are two sprite examples in the Images folder. Look at them in an image editor to see how they are painted and how the alpha channel creates the soft edge. "B" is softer than "A". You can swap them by clicking on the Image name.
  • Note how the sprites have been shaded on one side to create the illusion of light direction. This needs to be individually crafted to match the real lighting in your scene.
  • There are two "Forces" in the chor that create the curling and rising motion of the smoke. There may be other ways to do that.
  • The Emitter has been animated in the Chor to tilt erratically so that the plume is not exactly the same all the time

• Quick global changes to the effect can be made by changing parameters in "Sprite System"...
  • Life (0-100%) will change the length of the plume
  • Rate of Emission (0-200%+) will change the density of the plume
  • Opacity (0-100%). low values blend the sprites together better but make for a flatter plume. High values make it lumpier but make the visible "popping" of the sprites as they occlude each other worse.
  • Size (100-300%). Large values create better blend but over-smooth the appearance and lessen the clarity of the edges.

You can scrub through the first few seconds to test results.

• If you want sprites to cast a shadow you will need "Cast Shadows" ON and a ray-traced light in the chor. No shadows is WAY faster.
  • If you want to use NetRender, you will need to "Bake" the particles in the Chor and resave your PRJ.

RocketPlumeScreen.jpg

Many thanks for posting the project and bitmaps... Most generous!

Definitely will play around with them.

For any space buffs looking forward to the possible rocket launch today of the two astronauts (using a private company) here is a great book pointing to a possible future scenario.

Tom

colonies.jpg