Hash, Inc. Forums

Modeling a planetary gear

fae_alba

• Hash Fellow

In an art class we had assignment to illustrate a nursery rhyme and I was doing "Hickory Dickory Dock". I asked the teacher what the formula was for drawing accurate gears but he just sort of stared at me.

Paul, i think the starting point is to find three circles that will fit together like that (without teeth) and that all have a circumference that is an integral multiple of some small distance.

That is the hard part. Modeling the teeth will be easy if we can figure that out. Maybe there is a formula?

Live Answer Time at Noon CDT, btw. B)

if you could find a view from directly above you could rotoscope the teeth so they're proportioned properly and then do a lot of copy/paste rotate. then you could scale them to size. If that makes sense. Sorry if it doesn't.

My plan is to have the inner gear ring mounted to a plate so that it performs as a spinning ride deck, ala mad hatters tea party ride. I'm modeling the bed and inner plate that will mount to the tea pot and motor. I'll include pics when I get home 

Appreciate the assistance

..makes the heavy thinking a bit easier!

1 hour ago, Wildsided said:

Don't know if this would make things easier but according to this simulation site http://www.thecatalystis.com/gears/

A 'sun' cog with 24 teeth would need 3 'planet' cogs of the same size with the same number of teeth which would save modelling.

Now that is a nice site! Might even be able to use that as a screen grab/rotoscope