Hash, Inc. Forums

Spies in Disguise

largento

Thought it was interesting that the upcoming animated feature "Spies in Disguise" grew out of the animated short by Lucas Martell, "Pigeon: Impossible." I remember watching his video updates while he worked on it. It took him five years to complete. Apparently, the interest in it led to him getting an agent and a manager and they pitched a feature film version to various studios and it was bought by Fox. 

In an interview, he was asked this question that I'm sure plenty of aspiring animators would ask and I think his answer is a good one:

What piece of advice do you have for aspiring animators starting out?

Just start. The technology is so accessible that there’s no reason to not be in there actually doing the work. I’m also a big believer in school, but it’s not a requirement for working in the industry. If you have the opportunity to get actual industry experience, that’s far more important than any class.

I've seen so many people come through these forums with large aspirations and never create that great thing they wanted to make. It's literally true that you just have to do it. It might take years, but waiting five years for whatever magical thing you think will come along and make it easier for you isn't the way. If you'd just done a little every day, you'd have it done by then.

If you have A:M, then you have everything you need to make a movie.

Go for it!