Hash, Inc. Forums

Papa Bear goes fishing

fae_alba

In between other projects and work, I sometimes get a free moment to continue with A:M. Of course my latest obsession is my 3D printer. I decided to push the limits and create a print of Papa Bear fishing. Below is an A:M chor image of my model.

first_copy0.jpg

The base with fish, Papa Bear, and the fishing pole all will be printed separately and glued together once cleaned up. As a first test run I printed them at a small scale (Papa Bear is only 2 inches for the test) with a "normal resolution". Papa Bear I printed standing up, with full supports to try and reduce the amount of surface contact and clean up. This is what he looks like coming off of the printer...

needs_trimming.jpg 

Cleaned up (roughly since I'm only interested in deciphering what may need to be adjusted ) the entire model looks like this:

done.png 

Already I can see the hands need to be opened up a bit so the rod can be fitted better, and re positioned a tad. Also Papa Bear looks a little off in his pose so that needs some addressing. But overall, I'm happy with how the first pass looks. Next we print larger with a higher resolution.

• ____ 1

18 minutes ago, robcat2075 said:

That looks very cool , Paul!

How long is the print time for that 2"?

I guess eventually you paint it, right?

Once the larger, final print is done I will clean it up, hit it with some filler and paint primer, then paint it up, yes.

This print only took about an hour for all three pieces. I'm printing the larger Papa Bear now. It's 4 inches tall and will take about 4 hours as opposed to just shy of 2 inches for the first copy.

Edited by fae_alba

Well, broken prints happen to the best of us! This last run took over 4 hours. I ran it at a normal resolution with only a 20% in fill, full supports. Untrimmed it looks like so:

IMG_20190308_063750.jpg

Kind of looks like a melting fantasy game stature!

Trimmed:

IMG_20190308_071006.jpg

Trimming uncovered a weakness in the wrist, which broke off since it was nearly hollow.

So I'm now reprinting, a bit larger, at a finer resolution, and with 100% infill. This run looks like it will clock in at 7hours.

• Hash Fellow

Creature from the White Lagoon

1 hour ago, fae_alba said:

IMG_20190308_063750.jpg

Trimming uncovered a weakness in the wrist, which broke off since it was nearly hollow.

So I'm now reprinting, a bit larger, at a finer resolution, and with 100% infill. This run looks like it will clock in at 7hours.

7 hours?

I would have just crazy-glued it back on.  :D

well it's taken a bit, but this project is ready for paint. Some stats: Papa Bear stands 4.15 inches tall. The base is 5.5 inches long. There are 5 separate prints done; Papa Bear, his fishing pole, the base, and the fins of the fish.

All were modeled in A:M, exported at 64 subd. Printed under a normal setting with 100% infill (the fishing rod and fish fins) to 20% infill (papa bear and the base).

The fish in the base is a perfect example of being able to print merged models. The fish is a separate model which I placed in a chor with the base, scaled down, then simply set inside the base and posed. The slicing software (CURA) had no problem with it. The fins I had to model and print separately since they were simply too fine and at a bad position for 3d printing.

Once printed it took some cleanup. Heavy sanding to get the support ridges smoothed out, then I hit Papa Bear with two coats of model filler to hide much of the layering. Sanded, then painted with a car body primer filler spray paint. Now I will paint with some Testors Model Paint, then a clear coat. Then Papa Bear will take his place on the shelf of glory in my office!

Untitled.png

• ____ 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
On 3/7/2019 at 10:14 AM, fae_alba said:

Already I can see the hands need to be opened up a bit so the rod can be fitted better, and re positioned a tad.

I know I'm way late with this suggestion but perhaps a practical solution would be to model him with the pole in his hand with fingers clasped on it, then split the model at the wrists.

One model is the bear up to the spline where the hands start. The other is the pole with the hands on it, then you could glue two parts back together after printing them.

No one would be the wiser!

3 hours ago, robcat2075 said:

I know I'm way late with this suggestion but perhaps a practical solution would be to model him with the pole in his hand with fingers clasped on it, then split the model at the wrists.

One model is the bear up to the spline where the hands start. The other is the pole with the hands on it, then you could glue two parts back together after printing them.

No one would be the wiser!

I actually did some of that. The fish for instance is printed with the fins off, then the fins as separate prints and glued in place. The rod was printed separately as well. All of this was done in a chor. I pose as I want, then hide all but one model, export to stl, then move on to the next. The issue with the hands not gripping properly was that I needed to print them open with enough tolerance to allow me to get the rod in place after the fact. Doing as you suggested is a valid approach, BUT would lead to extra supports having to be printed then removed and clean up. Since this was a fairly small delicate print, I doubt that a print like that would survive the clean up process. As it was, Papa Bear lost a few toes because of that.  

• Hash Fellow
13 minutes ago, fae_alba said:

Doing as you suggested is a valid approach, BUT would lead to extra supports having to be printed then removed and clean up. 

But with the rod + hands as just a model by itself you could orient it for whatever position was the most advantageous for printing, no?

1 hour ago, robcat2075 said:

But with the rod + hands as just a model by itself you could orient it for whatever position was the most advantageous for printing, no?

The issue lies with the fact that the model wouldn't lie perfectly flat on the build plate . When there are overhangs you have to print a support.