Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
robcat2075

Try out this test Contest poll

Follow this Survey Monkey link.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NP7Y5Y5

It has one question, in which you must choose three of the five options.

After you finish the poll, SurveyMonkey may ask you to take more polls. You may close your browser instead.

Post a reply here after you answer the poll, telling what you chose.

Train, Automobile & Airplane

Train, plane and face.

SurveyMonkey... worst... so called... "software" ever... if you do votings especially if you need translations.
In short: Translations are files you need to translate with a properitery format which is not described. Had to find out how that works by myself.

And if you change anything in the original language you need to redo everything in the translations again. I do not know how often I did that again and again and again but it was the worst project I had in 2018 to do that.

For "normal" votes (not multilingual) it is okay to use, but never try translation.... that will kill you. ;)

Best regards
*Fuchur*

• Like 1

First question I look for in surveys is "Do you like taking surveys?". If I don't see that then I just close the page.

Everything is about tracking and creating profiles these days, nothing that has to do with how a company or product or service but just the usual bs questions, then plant a cookie or some other crap on your system as some sort of thank you.

Is that what we have become? Some sort of digital who@3$?? Just sheep?

I miss the old days of marketing where data mining didn't exist. Instead people tried to truly and honestly validate the worth of company, product or service. Where what they did had a meaning and it didn't boil down to a law of averages of whether or not they actually did something useful or try to deviously take that users info only to sell it off as some sort of cheap real estate to the next leaching company.

Sad how people are played these days, truly sad.

None-the-less we do need a way to vote for contest entries or there isn't a way to have a contest.

• Haha 1

Depends extremly on the service. But yes, survey monkey is very much about getting data for tracking, bringing you to answer especially other surveys than the own one and selling/buying votes for surveys. That is what this service in the free version is all about. Of cause they are very expensive too if you want more than the free service.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

Robert,

I wonder if this forums polling might do as well as Survey Monkey.

A few years back I tested that but I don't really recall the details of what I discovered.

It seemed to be adequate but regardless it might be good to test it and know for certain that it is adequate or not.

Added:  The two poll options that are currently off in the forum admin settings  are:

- Users can change their vote

- Users can see results before voting  (I just now turned this off)

The other two settings of general interest are:

- Maximum questions per poll = 50

- Maximum options per question = 50

AFAIK a big limit with the actual forum poll is that you have to be a forum member first and I want to make it possible for non-a:m-using friends and grandmothers to vote.

My goals

-Can integrate pictures into choice list.

-Each voter must choose three images.

-Anyone can vote... but just once.

-I can author it directly

If forum membership is the  issue we can set up a forum where guests can vote.

To insure anonymity we might make it so that only guests could vote. (should test that but originally as a test the Open Forum was set up so anyone... even non members of the forum could post)

As for the stated goals:

-Can integrate pictures into choice list.     Check.  Forum posts can use html to include images.

-Each voter must choose three images.   Should be possible.  We'd just have to determine how to implement.  Mitigation could be to disqualify any response that did not include three votes.

-Anyone can vote... but just once.   In the past contests (using Hash Inc's site, PHP etc.) I think this validation was done via voter supplied email address.  With guest voting that wouldn't be possible.  I suppose a mitigation for that shortfall might be to disqualify/nullify duplicate votes from the same IP address.

The 'vote just once' goal might be the deal breaker in using forum polls as that would likely need to be managed manually.

5 hours ago, Rodney said:

The 'vote just once' goal might be the deal breaker in using forum polls as that would likely need to be managed manually.

Do the results go into a database? I can provide assistance in analyzing/cleansing the results to master based on a given value (say ip-address if it is captured).

Nothing that would be worth pursuing I would think but you'd have to work with Jason on that.

There are always additional capabilities from IPB and third party vendors willing to add to IPB forums though... for a price.

I'll guess that lack of control/capability is what moved Jason and Hash Inc to stick with the website approach to managing contests.

the results have to be stored somewhere, even if to only a csv text file. I can work with any format, just need to see an example of it to put something together.

That's exactly what the third parties are doing.

When I say 'not worth pursing' I'm mostly approaching that from the standpoint of my personal capability and authority.

Although I am bonded to the A:M Forum in many ways one of the golden rules I try to follow in administration of it is 'this is not my forum'.

As such connecting databases to it has to go through Jason.

Additional thoughts related to this:

If we have visions of a highly customized forum I would suggest downloading and setting up a test bed IPB board and diving deeply into the workings of it.  This is the recipe for success in my estimation as well as a useful education in optimizing IPB forums.

Then with 'what success looks like' ready for implementation we just update the Hash Inc forum to the desired state (as approved by Jason/Hash Inc of course.

There isn't much of a limit to what we can do with the forum.

We just have to build, test and publish... as well as maintain it.

A question we might ask relative to this is how much might it be worth purchasing a survey/polling option designed specifically for use with IPB forums versus building one from scratch?

There is no doubt in my mind that survey/polling that would allow for contest voting will be useful and as such the idea of having that capability here directly in the forum is worth considering.  As an example of that... currently the Galleries have some basic capabilities in that general direction.  We might probe to see how far those capabilities go and what is lacking.

Added:  I mention Galleries for a number of reasons to include the fact that if contests polling and results could be conducted therein it would then be trivial to present the results and archive them later without transferring the contest data into the Galleries... because all the data would be there already.

I was thinking of what the current forum software (IPB, Invision Community?) does for surveys, out of the box. Results have to be stored somehow. If my guess of the software company is correct I can spin my wheels tonight and research. D.C. during this shutdown is rather boring, so I've plenty of time!

The website software/CMS can do surveys/polls too. Just to mention it.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this