Hash, Inc. Forums

The Wannabe Pirates Action Figure

largento

On the side, I've been playing with the idea of making a 3D printed Flemm action figure.

This was my first test head. The challenge was to try to keep it as a single, closed model.  It will mean some details will be added with paint, but to give an idea of the difference, this head is 353 patches and the original was 1273.

I exported it out as an OBJ file, but Shapeways wasn't too keen on that or the STL I exported. I ended up opening the OBJ in a 3rd party app and converting it to a DAE file, which Shapeways was perfectly happy with. I ordered one just to see what the quality will be and it should be here soon. It was processed and printed fairly quickly, but the holidays seems to be interfering with the shipping.

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 8.46.13 PM.png

Here's an idea of what it would look like when it's painted:

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 8.32.30 PM.png

3 hours ago, Fuchur said:

Try the "free" software netfab basic if you want to check on your STL.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

I use netfab all the time. Works fairly well with a:m stl exports, but I find reversed normals are a real issue with 3d printers. Mark, if your like, I can run thru my 3d,printer to get a comparison.

Unfortunately, there's no Mac version of Netfabb. There was an older version, but they don't offer it anymore.

Shapeways recommends a free app called Meshmixer, which I just downloaded. They also recommend a site: www.makeprintable.com which charges you per model repaired.

I may take you up on that, Paul. See if there's any difference. At some point, I'm wanting to get my own 3D printer, but I'm just dipping my toe in at this point.

11 hours ago, largento said:

Unfortunately, there's no Mac version of Netfabb. There was an older version, but they don't offer it anymore.

Shapeways recommends a free app called Meshmixer, which I just downloaded. They also recommend a site: www.makeprintable.com which charges you per model repaired.

I may take you up on that, Paul. See if there's any difference. At some point, I'm wanting to get my own 3D printer, but I'm just dipping my toe in at this point.

Send it on over. This gov't shutdown deal has me sitting around with nothing to do, so I might as well do some 3d printing!

Ok, I've printed this with PLA filament , on a "fine" setting, at two different sizes. The small one is 1 in high, the other is 2.5 inches. I also did a quick test with white ABS filament, but since I don't have my printer tented it didn't fair so well. But, the PLA prints look pretty good. They would need some cleanup, a bit of sanding then hit with a primer/filler spray paint. If you want them, send me a message with your snail mail address and i will send them along to you.

largent.jpg

• ____ 2

Got my print from Shapeways today (well, it came yesterday, but nobody checked the mail.)

It looks pretty good. The details appear sharper in real life, but it is a tiny bit "chalky." Not sure when I'll have the time to attempt painting it, but it probably won't be for a couple of months. Still, it's pretty neat to hold a model in your hand and see it in reality.

IMG_9624.JPG

IMG_1233.JPG

I went with their most affordable option, which does have "a slightly textured surface and a matte finish." It is less than an inch tall, so it's not really as noticeable to the naked eye. They offer a "premium" finish that is semi-glossy and scratch resistant.

I'm putting your samples into the mail today/tomorrow. Been a little chaotic with the fed shutdown and my schedule (one minute I can work, the next I can't!). 3D printing isn't going to provide a perfect surface each time. There will always be some level of finishing to do. I use a spray paint primer-filler to do most of the work, then liberal sanding. I always figured if I were printing something to "mass-produce" then I would be spending time getting the surface finish up to snuff, then making a silicon mold and casting in resin.

I should probably be at a point where I have a secret lair first. 🙂

Mostly, this action figure project is just for fun, but the "big one" I'd go for is to remodel Flemm's ship, the Sea Anemone, to be printed at the same scale as the action figure.

That would be super cool.

16 hours ago, largento said:

I should probably be at a point where I have a secret lair first. 🙂

Mostly, this action figure project is just for fun, but the "big one" I'd go for is to remodel Flemm's ship, the Sea Anemone, to be printed at the same scale as the action figure.

That would be super cool.

Much like a maquette. I have several of those of Papa Bear sitting on my desk now. Flemm's ship would be cool, but you'd have to break it down to it's components then assemble like a model. Would be a fun project.

No doubt. The ship would probably be more than 2 feet long!

It would all have to be remodeled not only for that reason, but also because most of it has no depth. I could make the sails out of cloth, though and use string for the rigging.