Hash, Inc. Forums

OBJ import Plugin for AM 15.0j

Warlock

Hi, been an AM user since version 8, Been using version 15.0j for a while now , AM has always been my goto CG program, one thing I have to say though the OBJ import plugin is extremely slow and most times does not work at all stays at 20% all day, there must be a better plugin for this, I've tried toer but have had no success with that, if anyone can point in a viable direction It would be most appreciated, thanks

• Hash Fellow

Welcome back, Warlock!

If you just need the OBJ to be in a Chor and move around as solid object, don't import it into a model window, import as a Prop.  That will import in a few seconds.

If you really want to convert a polygon model to splines, because you really want to edit it as splines, A:M gets very slow at creating CPs once you get above a few thousand and most glamorous OBJs have many more vertices than that. It will be slow, but i have left OBJ imports to run overnight and it did finish eventually.

New in version 19 is "Stick to Surface" that lets you draw new splines on the surface of a model or a Prop. You can quickly import an OBJ as a Prop then use it as your template to create a new, properly-splined A:M model.

• ____ 1

How many polygones do you have in that model? In general you need low poly to even get anything out of it (otherwise even if it works its very likely close to unusable in A:M).
In the case it is not low poly, you will need to retopology it (which is the feature "Stick to Surface" Robert is talking about.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

• ____ 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the replys I really do appreciate it, Robcat I will also give the prop import a try never tried that before thanks for the tip, Fuchur It's not any particular model at the moment so polys would vary at this stage, working on a live action with cg film , I do alot of organic modeling in ZB and then save as OBJ for import to AM for rigging and animation, Happy New Year Guys thanks again 

Then retopology is your only real change.
Importing a micropoly-model like the once ZBrush creates is not really possible. That are typically a LOT of polygones.
Props are totally fine for static stuff, but if you really want to rig and animate organic models from ZBrush, you need to retopologize them.

There are a lot of threads about such topics and you can have a look at for instance this:

Or

And there are very likely a few more. ludo_si uses 3dCoat for a few things.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

I'll note one other tool you might find useful for rigging dense meshes... Transfer_AW

Basically you rig a low-density version of your model and then Transfer_AW interpolates that to the high density model.