Hash, Inc. Forums

Column-ing

largento

Modeled a column for my Guardian set and got to the difficult part of having the rounded divets on the ends of the fluting. I could have just faked it, but I went ahead and worked it out. This might not be the best solution, but this worked for me.

column2.png

• ____ 1

I had to do something similar for the trim around the base of my train carriage (That you'll probably not even be able to see in the final image, but ya know, I'd know I hadn't done it if I hadn't done it 😏)

My solution ended up using 5 point patches because I thought it would crease otherwise. But your solution seems to work perfectly well.

Fluting.png

• Admin

You all are dedicated modelers.  :)

I am reminded of why 'faking it' can be difficult.

I thought I'd throw together a column with Boolean Cutters and there were a few issues with rendering...

Some of this is because I was lazy and didn't close off the ends of the cyclinder shapes used to cut the gauges our of the columns.

Some of this is beacause I was lazy and applied all three textures to the column planning to disappear the textures I didn't want in the Column's choreography settings..

Here's the render in question.

columns0.png

Dan, I actually tried it with five-patchers, but I was seeing flickering and you don't want that happening when you're rendering. It was a case of having to try different things and then when something worked, doing it over and over again for all the incidents.

Rodney, I want to say that I did do a boolean for the column fluting one time back in the day. I'll confess that I viewed that as faking it. Likewise, I think using decals could have worked, too.

There was some satisfaction in knowing that I didn't have to go those routes.

• Admin

Of course there is a point at which using Boolean cutters might be less of a cheat.

For instance, if we need to easily change the texture inside the cut out space.

This is not what is needed in your case.  Your approach looks perfect!

BooleanCutTextures.png

6 hours ago, robcat2075 said:

Seen while researching Fluting. 
This was probably a better idea on papyrus than in practice.
Or maybe they're just screwing with you here...

640px-Apamea_Cardo.jpg

Stonemasons all sitting together in a pub and some loudmouth know-it-all at the bar shouts "Fluting on the pillars can only be straight,"

Stonemasons: Hold my beer