Hash, Inc. Forums

Damn 5 point patches!

fae_alba

I've been spending a lot of time playing with my 3D printer, and started down the rabbit hole of using AM to model some parts for an animatronic projects I've started. The below screen grab is for an eyelid mechanism that i need to print but the infamous 5 point patch has reared its ugly head. Below is a patch that I cannot seem to close. The patch across from it did close as a 5 pointer, the one that won't is a product of extruding the closed patch. I cannot for the life of me figure what is wrong with it, having tried the lasso tool, hiding all other points then selecting, selecting in different orders... you name it. 

I've attached the model for anyone wishing to have a go at it, I would appreciate it.

image.png

eyelids_V3.mdl

I think it was to do with internal spines confusing the 5 point patch maker. Also a couple of the spines weren't registering as connected (where you have to press 'k' top separate them instead of just hitting delete). So I deleted/reconnected them and that let me close them up.

eyelids_V3 5 pointer closed.mdl

Hope that helps, Paul

• ____ 1

• Hash Fellow

In general this problem appears to happen when a corner of the would-be 5-point patch has, not two splines going through it but, three or more splines that either pass through the CP or end there without continuing through.

The result is that A:M seems to count more than one CP there, which causes you to have more than five selected even though it appears to be five.

• Admin

Internal patches are causing you pain.

In preventing us from modeling with internal patches A:M is saying... "I really can't put a 5 point patch here... that wouldn't be wise."

Removing the internal patches immediately adjacent the 5 point patch potential areas allowed me to assign the areas as 5 point patches with one exception.

That except appeared to be a potential 5 pointer adjacent another 5 point patch that itself had an internal patch on one side.

Removing that spline (thereby removing the internal patches on that side allowed that 5 pointer to be restored as well as the first one that didn't want to work.

There are still a lot of internal patches in this model but at least they aren't problematically preventing 5 pointers.

(See attached)

eyelids_V3a.mdl

thanks all for the insights. Finally got all of the 5 pointers closed, I decided not to cheat and use the samples you all attached because I felt it better to slog through this as a learning moment. The 3d printer is busily printing as I type and has about another 5 hours to go.