Hash, Inc. Forums

Doctor Who new season premiere

Roger

• *A:M User*

So far I like the new Doctor played by Jodie Whittaker, I think she will do well in the role. 

I just can't help feeling that this was a weak episode for a season premiere.   It seemed more like a middle of the season episode.   

Anyone else have any thoughts?   I know we've got some Who fans on here.  

I liked it and I liked Jodie Whittaker. I think all the hysterics around the Doctor being a woman this time were overblown. The Doctor as a character wasn't really gender specific. 

I do agree that the episode's central plot was lackluster. There was all this stuff about the villain having to cheat, which could have made for an interesting character, but instead he was just a suit talking with a generic alien bad guy voice.

My initial impression was that this Doctor reminded me a lot of my first impression of Paul McGann as the Doctor in the Fox TV movie in 1996. He seemed a little too good looking to be the Doctor, but he pulled it off. There was also the bumping up of production values, which lost a little of the charm of the cardboard sets of Doctor Who. This time out, they're going for a more realistic, cinematic look and it's definitely a step up, but at the same time, it kind of makes it feel like other productions and less unique. 

The big difference here, though, is the 1996 TV movie didn't go to series, whereas we've got ten episodes to adjust to the new style.

We didn't get to see any opening titles (don't know why), but I'm looking forward to seeing them. I thought Murray Gold created some excellent music for his ten years on Doctor Who. The new guy's music is more experimental and less about music and more about tones and percussion. 

I thought it was okay, but found the writing to be very lazy in places. There were several occasions where the doctor just ass-pulled something. The keys to the crane spring to mind. Also the "I removed the bombs from my friends and put them in your coil monster" part at the end was like WHEN?! HOW?! Oh I know, because it's convenient to the plot.

Plus the bad guy was the Predator in biker leathers, except instead of hunting a heavily armed special forces team or the Xenomorph it was hunting some scrawny bloke on a train and this act of sheer badassery would get it promoted to leader.

I had no issues with Jodie's portrayal of the doctor but definitely hope the writing is better for the rest of the series.

• 1 month later...

Well so far we are what, like 6 or 7 episodes in?   I don't know but so far I've not been terribly impressed, I am not sure when this Doctor is going to hit her stride. 
Plus, the writing just seems *off* somehow, it doesn't seem like classic Who.    Maybe I need to give it more time, but so far I'm not feeling it. 

You're not the only one, Roger. From what I've read and from  personal opinion, the general consensus among fans seems to be that this has been a very weak season.

Not to mention that the Christmas special has been bumped to New Years. 

As for hitting her stride, the rumour doing the rounds is that both Jodie Whittaker and new show runner Chris Chibnall plan to leave at the end of next years season. So if that's the case she best be hitting it pretty fast.

2 hours ago, Wildsided said:

You're not the only one, Roger. From what I've read and from  personal opinion, the general consensus among fans seems to be that this has been a very weak season.

Not to mention that the Christmas special has been bumped to New Years. 

As for hitting her stride, the rumour doing the rounds is that both Jodie Whittaker and new show runner Chris Chibnall plan to leave at the end of next years season. So if that's the case she best be hitting it pretty fast.

WOW.   They play up this whole "first female Doctor" thing and then she is leaving the role so quickly?  Yeah I don't think that they are going to pull it out if she's only got one more season after this one.   I didn't always care for Moffat's writing but I feel like they could have done some really interesting stuff with a female Doctor and instead we are getting these weak episodes.    I'd say face her off against The Master/ Missy but they've had so many Master specific plots in recent history I don't know how that would work.