Hash, Inc. Forums

Rotating Rotoscopes?

largento

This is such a basic thing I wonder if there's a particular reason that it can't be done...

We can scale and translate Rotoscopes, but we can't rotate them. This would come in very handy when you have rotos that aren't oriented correctly in an image.

Is there an in-app workaround that I just don't know about?

Is this something that could be implemented easily?

• Admin

An in app workaround:

Create a single patch and apply the image to the patch as a Patch Image.

Adjust transparency, rotation and other settings as necessary.

What this has over standard rotoscopes is the advantage of being able to be rotated and placed anywhere in 3D space whereas a standard roto can only be placed in a strict location parallel to the camera plane.

Once positioned then make the patch unpickable... by locking the CPs of the main patch... the settings can still be adjusted as necessary via PWS while unpickable.

A similar approach can be used via decaling if additional fine tuning is required but I find using patch images to be adequate in most cases.

Added: To add some 'features' to the patch image rotoscoping method extrude the patch outward once but delete the outside perimeter. This will leave 4 CPs by which to shape the single patch roto and distort the image without resorting to decaling a grid etc.

I'd say the primary reason the rotoscope hasn't been enhanced with other capabilities is that for higher end use it's easy to build our own rotoscope setups.

As such use of the rotoscope feature need be concerned with being misaligned out of cardinal views with strict orientation.

• Hash Fellow

The closest thing to an in-app solution I can think of is similar to Rodney's...

Decal the image onto some flat patches, rotate the patches as needed, then render that view and import the resulting image to use as a rotoscope.

Generally I've done my rotations and conforming in a paint program outside of A:M

I don't know what would be involved in adding rotation to the Rotoscope properties so i don't know if it would be easy or if time-space wormholes would open up.

I'll note that we can't rotate decals before applying either, we have to use Turn+CTRL to rotate the screen view under the decal first. That won't work for Rotos, regrettably.