Hash, Inc. Forums

ADOBE DIMENSION

John Bigboote

This just came acrosst my radars:

https://www.adobe.com/products/dimension/features.html?mv=product&mv2=accc#!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML0i68H-Xos

https://www.adobe.com/products/dimension/features.html

Adobe's foray into 3D rendering, still in beta- but highly functional with a great orientation interactive to get you up-and-running very swiftly- the beauty being that it is quite a simple program with no animation features... main use is for photorealistic still renders. It should be, however- compatible with A:M as a 3rd party still-renderer for anyone that wants to see what rendering with Vray looks and feels like...(via obj file format)

I am doing a test scene-render now... one frame is going over 20 minutes, so not too swift but I imagine people wanting photoreal images would have all day for a render. ( I did turn-ON a lot of bells and whistles...)

I can't seem to find any image size dialogue, so it looks like this early iteration is a one-size-fits-all for now...(1024 X 768) it claims it will give me photoshop layers so we'll see. (IMAGE FINISHED 21:57!)

aaa_7.jpg

• ____ 1

Dimension offers a neat feature called 'match image' for automatic placement of your scene to the background that you select parameters (lens, XYZ placement, even lighting) and will make a great reflective floor... but as you can see- it did NOT take the background into consideration for the depth-of-field. I suppose in Pshop I could use the depth layer to imitate the blur by eye...but...

aaa_8.jpg

• ____ 1

I played with this some when it was called "Project Felix" and posted some renders here.

Last year, I used it for a mockup to show what a cardboard standee would look like in a lobby. I did find the renders to be quite slow and there were some buggy instances where it wouldn't render the full shadow and left a pixelated hole in the center.

It is fun to play with, though.

I am always late to the party... thanks Mark!

I found the way to set image dimensions, and it is easy. SO- I did a test render at 1600 X 1800 pixels at 'medium' render quality and let it go overnight. It looks pretty good but I think I am seeing a 'glitch' at the forward edge of the red box. Render time 3hours 12minutes 3seconds, not fast at ALL! Almost makes me think the image is being rendered 'in the cloud' offsite somewhere...

PLUS- as you can see in my Hash modeled ice-cream cone--- there is no SubDivisionSurfaces so I would need to export from A:M at a higher mesh density.

aaa_10.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Render time 3hours 12minutes 3seconds, not fast at ALL! Almost makes me think the image is being rendered 'in the cloud' offsite somewhere...

What happens if you unplug your internet connection?

• ____ 1

Once you add those higher density meshes, you have to do more tweaking and work on the images? Right?

I don't think so... I am just referring to when you export your obj and you can choose between 1,4,16,64 etc polys-per-patch... 1 being just each patch being exported as a polygon- 4 splits/smooths it 4 ways etc. It is too bad that it is a '1 size fits all' approach because my models have parts that are sparse and parts that are already quite dense and I feel it unneccessary to further densify it...

• 2 weeks later...

I experimented with it today just to see how easy it would be to bring a character in and it worked surprisingly well. I exported this as an OBJ out of an action window and was even able to play with the materials inside of Dimensions.

krok_dimensions.png

Yeah, it's really geared entirely for doing product shots or product-concepts, and it does that well. Other than that, it's kind of fruitless. I do like how you can click a lighting setup and see it applied immediately, but I don't like not being able to add lights and move them around.

[EDIT] I guess you can kind of control the lighting by playing with the control sliders for "sunlight."

krok_dim.jpg