Hash, Inc. Forums

Couple Cloth questions

I recently snagged v 19 and am and wanted to do a test using cloth. First I made a couple of primitives. Next I made s plane and applied a cloth material.

When I drop them in the chor and animate the plane the cloth does't seem to simulate but rather the plane just moves from point a to point be as i set it.

My goal ultimately after someone is kind enough to enlighten me on what I am missing in my prj is to simulate a sheet and ultimately export it out when conformed to various shapes as a quad obj that I can convert to nurbs and eventually be able to make parts that I can cast (ie die cast models).

Reason for nurbs is so I can add a thickness to the new shape, trim it as i need and add the fixtures to hold them to other parts.

Can the deformed cloth model be exported in it's final shape or will it just export as a flat sheet?

sim cloth test.zip

• Hash Fellow

the essential element you were missing was a "deflector" on the objects you wanted the cloth to rest on.

Make a second cloth material and set its "object type" to "deflector" and put that on the relevant objects.

I made some other changes to the cloth material and chor simcloth settings but the deflector was your major issue.

(for some reason I can't upload my modified PR)

• Hash Fellow

Bummer I can't export the deformed object on a per frame basis. I end up with an obj file that is in it's original form.

You can do that. Go to the frame you want, then in the Chor do RMB>Export>Model

That will export every model in the chor into one new model, so typically you would set any unwanted models like the Ground and deflectors to "OFF" for that frame