Hash, Inc. Forums

What happened to hair?

Attached is a picture of how the hair preview looks on my computer across 3 iterations of A:M.

save.png

In version 17 it looks fine, then in version 18 you can't see the models face because hair at the back of the model layers itself to the front of the image (the only way to prevent this is to have shaded wireframe mode on). The hair has also turned white with a coloured outline. Then in version 19 it looks much the same except significantly thinner.

Just to clarify it's the exact same model with no alterations. Just loaded up and then hair switched on.

Everything looks fine if you render the image, but it's like whatever changes were made to the hair preview code between version 17 and 18 broke it quite badly and it hasn't been fixed properly.

• Hash Fellow

That looks like some sort of mishap in an Italian restaurant. :o

Here's what I get with a basic test of hair that has dynamics, color gradient, thickness gradient and some grooming.

RealTimeHairTest.JPG

The real time colors look different in v18 and v19 than what i set in v17, but if i Render they all exhibit the colors seen in v17.

in v19 the realtime "density" loaded as 1% and I had to reset that to 100% for this picture.

Other than that they appear similar across the versions

Short answer... I don't have a quick answer about why your result is different. :(

Here's the PRJ if you want to try mine.

HairTestv17.prj

No idea either, especially considering I've had the exact same result across two different machines. My old laptop and my new desktop. I thought it might have been my old machine until I checked it with the new one.

It's not a huge deal, because I can just groom the hair in 17 and know it'll look right in the others at render. But it is a bit annoying to have to switch between versions to accomplish what should be doable in the latest version.

That copy/paste bug I reported where the decals aren't copied along with the geometry which has been broken since v18 was reported as fixed but when I tested it, it wasn't fixed. I keep finding myself going back and working in V17 because at least it seemed to work properly.