Hash, Inc. Forums

Anybody know about Blender targets? (too used to A:M)

TopsyTriceratops

Hello all, once again I've hit a dead end. I've looked all over the place for such help, but it is such a huge jump from A:M to Blender that I was hoping anybody with experience in both could help me out.
I am only familiar with constraint targets in A:M, but I can't find anything like that in Blender for correcting free models to upload to Turbo Squid. So limbs are stiff and fail to work very well without such targets like in A:M. Does anybody know how to fix this?
Also, for a similar issue, I would like to know how to make tails behave like in A:M. A:M makes tails so simple, though for some reason, they do not work like this in Blender. I fail to understand how it works in Blender as any methods have dozens of confusing steps.
I don't know where to put this topic, so I apologize if I messed up.

• Hash Fellow

I know nothing of Blender but the only "targets" I've heard of in polygon apps, that are not constraint targets, are something called "morph targets" which are bit like the keyframes we make in SmartSkin or Muscle mode animation.

I know even less about how those might be translated to a polygon format.

• Admin

This forum has a reputation...

It also has people that cant get past that. ;)
Realistically, it does make a little more sense to ask Blender questions in the Blender community.
But if it relates to A:M it relates to A:M and makes sense to delve deeply here.

• Admin

TopsyTriceratops

You can PM me if you want.

Why not talk about it here?

Nemyax has coded several plugins/utilities for bridging the gap between A:M and Blender so his offer is a good one. He knows what is going on there. Take advantage of the offer! :)

• Hash Fellow

If you have information the will help A:M artists get some mileage out of their work, that should be fine to discuss here.

Perhaps it properly goes in the Third Party Programs sub-forum.

Hello all, once again I've hit a dead end. I've looked all over the place for such help, but it is such a huge jump from A:M to Blender that I was hoping anybody with experience in both could help me out.

I am only familiar with constraint targets in A:M, but I can't find anything like that in Blender for correcting free models to upload to Turbo Squid. So limbs are stiff and fail to work very well without such targets like in A:M. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Also, for a similar issue, I would like to know how to make tails behave like in A:M. A:M makes tails so simple, though for some reason, they do not work like this in Blender. I fail to understand how it works in Blender as any methods have dozens of confusing steps.

I don't know where to put this topic, so I apologize if I messed up.

There are plenty of constraints in Blender. You will find them in the Properties Panel -> Constraints ( between objects and modifiers ).

And for the tail, I think you will find useful the splineIK constraint.

What have we got a reputation for?

In the use guidelines of this forum there is an info that this is more like a forum for A:M and related stuff, not for topics about other 3d software (if they are not used in combination with A:M or in a pipline with A:M at least).

Short answer: If it is not in any way attached to or relevant for A:M, you might want to talk about that in the software forum of the other software.

I think that is just okay and normal for a specific software forum (!= topic forum) and especially as this is a quite loose rule today. That was a bit different 10 years ago, but today this is totally fine as it is if you ask me.

Best regards

*Fuchur*

• Admin

The reputation we have is that the forum has historically tolerated members who seem to enjoy off topic baiting and posting of cryptic statements that beg answers. (this is generally termed 'trolling').

That tends to lead to ruffled feathers and hurt feeling which then lead to compounded misunderstandings and resurgences from perceived wounds of the past, etc. etc. etc..

The cure is to focus on our common interest in Animation:Master.

One could argue that we tolerate such trolling more than in ages past.

Of course a chronic troller is not likely to agree with that assessment.

• ____ 1