Hash, Inc. Forums

Getting AimAt and Path Constraints for Camera in Chor

RS3D

I am having trouble getting two constraints: AimAt and Path to work together for the camera in a choreography. I have done this successfully in the past, but it seems that it has become more

complicated now. I load a model into the choreography located a little left of center - see untitled-1.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

I then add a constraint AimAt the model for the camera. see untitled-2.

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

Notice that the camera does not work unless you change the animate mode property from -not set- (evidently the default) to 'On' . You also need to change RotateOffsets for x,y,z to 0 in the

properties of the constraint, otherwise it will not directly AimAt the model (evidently the default is not to automatically point at the model).-see untitled-3.

Untitled-3 copy.jpg

I then add a path to the choreography see untitled-4.

Untitled-4 copy.jpg

I then add a 'Path' constraint on the camera for the newly created path. see untitled-5.

Untitled-5 copy.jpg

The system seems to ignore the AimAt constraint and just aims the camera straight ahead. There must be some additional setting that needs to be changed manually to get this to work.

I can get the path constraint to work without the AimAt and the AimAt to work without the path, but so far I cannot get the combination to work.

I have tried as many different settings/offsets, etc., and cannot come up with the answer. There is probably a simple solution does anyone have any ideas?

I just tried it the other way around (first putting on the path-constraint, then the AimAt) and it worked.

But what might come into your way is the "Compansate Mode"? You have to turn that off before applying the AimAt-Constraint if you do not want the current rotation offset to be kept.

You can find it at the top toolbar next to the magnet mode button. So apply the aimat constraint and before picking the aim, have a look at that button. It needs to be off.

Best regards

*Fuchur*

Thank you guys for responding to my post. I did all the things that are on Robcat's list and it seems to work. See attached video.

Like I said in my original post, I used to use this technique a lot in the past, but it seems to have gotten a lot more complicated now.

AmandaTurnaround.mov

• Hash Fellow

Hooray!

Compensate mode now defaults to ON when most constraints are chosen. That is probably what the catch was. There is a switch in the Options panel to revert that if you wish.

I reinstalled my A:M: system and noticed that there is a setting for using the "old compensate mode". If you set it to -on- this problem (and a few other problems I was having) go away. You do have to use the AimAt constraint after the Path constraint.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

HEY! Amanda is looking good! Are you using the SSS? Y'know, for that action you could have left the camera alone and just rotated the model- but your way you get to see the 360degree lighting... very good! I am hoping to get a little time to give the girl some A:M Hair... I am looking at various Elizabeth Banks hairdo's for reference...

aaa_5.jpg