Hash, Inc. Forums

Help in Exporting Models

Hello all, boy has it been ages. I have these models I wish to export as .obj files, but I have no idea how to do it. I looked around online, and got no viable answers. I wanted to export them as .obj files to fiddle with in other programs, which accept such files. Nothing accepts .mdl files. Anyone wish to help me out? I am using A:M version 15, which by the looks of things is fairly old. It sounds viable, as others have mentioned being able to export as .obj files, but I am unsure if it is limited to newer versions of A:M or if there is a step I am missing. Thank you!

• Hash Fellow

Welcome back!

you can right-click in the model window and choose Plugins>Export for a list of export options.

OBJ export was in v15 but later versions give you the option for more subdivisions than 4x4

Hello,
There are several ways to export your model. To better answer your wishes, we must ask the following questions: Do you want to export the mesh (subdivided, non-subdivided, triangular), groups, uv, bones, weights, actions?

If there is no need for subdivision, the most complete tool is the plugin for Blender created by Nemyax (it imports meshes, bones, weights, uvs, and actions in Blender): https://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47778&hl=blender
You can then export your model via Blender in Obj or other formats.

If there is a need for subdvision, direct exportX: https://www.patchwork3d.de/am-directx-exporter-73-en

There is an addon for Blender to import DirectX format (https://github.com/littleneo/directX_blender) after export your model in Obj or other formats.

Thanks guys! Though the question in of itself is about exporting the entire model from A:M into a .obj file, including bones, textures, everything if possible! No other program accepts .mdl files like A:M does, and .obj seems to be the most universal file for other programs including Blender.

EDIT: To clarify why, I am trying to put up free old models onto TurboSquid for others to use, but not everyone uses A:M.

As far as I know, OBJ does not support bones.
if you want to export the most things you can from A:M, use Direct X (*.x) files.

Obj is more commonly used, but will not hold bone animatons, etc.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

TopsyTriceratops

My Blender plug imports geometry, UVs and bones from MDL. After import into Blender, you can export everything to FBX, which is very popular.

OBJ doesn't support bones, and X is near useless.

You will encounter some problems that are as follows.
AM makes an invisible subdivision in the patches. So either export the patches as polygons or export the invisible polygonal subdivision.
The internal subdivision of AM poses different probems, the writing of bad triangles (a quad whose side is null), The hooks brings openings in the topology. (Do not use an adaptive subdivision, because it will not be only the hooks that will pose this problem and that will be seen in the rendering(displacemant)). The Nemyax plugin corrects this problem by converting the holes into ngones and polygons, and writes the triangles correctly. However, it does not export a subdivided model, and so we change the volume when we apply an external subdivision. There is a way to find an almost equivalent volume in Blender by applying a smooth invert before applying a subdivision. The advantage of this method is that your model has a correct topology that will be rendered correctly. Hope that will help you.