Hash, Inc. Forums

Multipass Dynamic

largento

Okay, here's a weird one.

I've been messing around with getting my puppet horses set up and decided to add dynamic constraints to the tail.

It shows movement in the real time preview, but then when I go to render, it renders the first pass correctly, but all the other passes render the tail in its original position and the result is the tail stays in place.

Here's a quick render, showing what I'm talking about. See the ghost tail that's in a lower position?

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 7.47.23 AM.png

I'm not sure if this is the fault of motion blur or multi-pass. To make things even more bizarre. Doing a quick render in the model window shows no tail at all.

So I rendered it again with single pass and no motion blur or ao and the tale moves as expected.

tails.mp4

Anybody know what's causing this?

When you say AO- do you mean SSAO? Are you doing a 'Bake Dynamic Systems' before you render? Sometimes I will set the dynamic constraints so they look real good in the preview playback- then, I bake the constraint and the results are less 'bouncy' than I had previewed. Have you tried rendering with multipass off to see what happens? Are you on latest version of 19?

OH- another Q... are you doing the DC on just one tail bone... or do you have a chain of bones?

The dynamic constraint is a fun, easy and powerful addition to A:M... WHEN it wants to play ball.

Matt—By AO, I mean regular AO (not SSAO). Didn't bake the dynamics (which I think is going to be my mistake). The video shows with multipass on and multipass off. With multipass off, the tail's movement works as expected. I am using the latest version and there are three bones in the chain that makes up the tail.

Robert—I just baked the dynamic systems and rendering again ...and it's working!

Baking was the missing piece.

Thanks, guys!

I've long been gun shy about using dynamics, but like you say Matt, it's easy and fun. I've even added it to the rim of the Ranger's hat so that it will bounce when he rides. :-)

Another thing about the DC... anyone ever get the collision-detection feature to work on the DC? I can't figure it out to know if it is functional or not... does it regard to the end of the bone? Does the end of the bone look for collisions with other bones? With geometry(patches)? For instance, if you setup a chain of bones on your horses tail you might get a LOT more play out of the DC... it might bounce all around- even THRU the body of the horse- which would not look right. SEEMS you should be able to employ the collision-detection to remedy this.

If it is a working feature, I need to know how.

If it is broken or never really programmed fully- I wish we could fix it or just remove it from the interface.

Anyone know?

aaa_4.jpg