Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rodney

Godot Gaming Engine

Godot use seems to be on the rise although I suppose that perception might be largely due to links that brought me into closer proximity to its usage:

Well worth checking out:

https://godotengine.org/features

Disclaimer: I am not well acquainted with the Godot engine and it's general usage..

Hey Rodney,

that looks very promising... I'll surely have a look into that :).

Best regards

*Fuchur*

Here comes 'JohnnyBigboote comes lately'... always the last one to the party. I had stumbled upon Godot in my searches and have been wowwed by it, and yes- a LOT of people are looking into using it as it is extremely lightweight (25mb) and uses its own proprietary GDscript programming language which is (said to be- as programming languages go...) rather quick to get up and running with. One thing I got snagged on- being free and user-programmed like Blender they stay away from formats that cost money to implement... so the FBX file format is not supported- BUT(!there's always a big BUT in bigboot-land!) it does support the COLLADA file format(.dae) which we can get to similarly to Gerald's '.X to Unity' method. That method employs using the .X file format from A:M(you save your model as a .X file and then attach your actions to that model's .X file additively so 1 .X model can have several actions within it.)Then, using Ultimate Unwrap- you would 'Save-As' a collada file which Godot can import... I am learning.

Good snag, Rodney! I was just coming to the forum to see if Godot had crossed anyone's radar and there you are 4 months earlier!

MY goal... wouldn't it be great to have your A:M animated character 'live' within a beautifully-rendering game engine? How about an entire scene complete with dynamics and physics? It's where I thought we were heading 15 years ago with Arctic Pigs.(alright... HA:MR)

Here is a WONDERFUL 'getting started' 2 part series to get your feet whet in Godot: 

Well, one year and four months earlier but who is counting.  ;)

The guy that I followed to Godot links is Jeremy Bullock (Turtletooth) who is a teacher and programmer.

He burnt himself out on Opentoonz development and headed to the territory of open source gaming to recharge his batteries.

Jeremy has some video tutorials dedicated to Godot on youtube worth checking out.

His is a four part series with an additional video addressing questions raised from viewers.  This is Part 1:

Good luck in your exploration Matt!