Hash, Inc. Forums

It's me again!

Gerry

Hi Hashers - I hope you are all well! I see some new faces, some old friends, and Martin is back too, so it's nice to be back.

Once again I am back to accomplish a specialized element of a non-cg project. Some of you remember last year that I needed an animated rolling hills background for my otherwise-drawn-by-hand short, "Martini Bombini O'Feeney Moonay" which I've been entering in film festivals. So I rolled up my pants, renewed my AM license, and got exactly the results I needed for a key shot. You can view the whole thing, about 6 minutes, at https://vimeo.com/241706968 if you like!

I've been developing a French-language table game for a couple of years, and with Martini off my plate, I am reworking a key part of the play environment, essentially a rack for holding two decks of cards side by side, but with some specific rotational elements. I've been trying to mock up a prototype out of foam core board, but I think I may need to go to 3D printing, of which we've got some good local ones.

So it looks like I'll be renewing my sub again, and I will be back with questions about creating an .stl file and all that that implies!

See you soon and Happy New Year.

Edited by robcat2075
un-hid URL

Hi Gerry... You may want to check out what Will Sutton has been up to. He's been working on creating

.stl's and 3D printing for some time now. If I'm not mistaken he works with a service called "Shape Ways"

to create 3D printable objects and such.

• ____ 1

• Admin

Welcome back Gerry!

Great to see you. This is already turning out to be a great year and we're only a few days into it. :)

P.S. I just watched 'Martini'. Big thumbs up on that.

Some moments hit the high bar of excellence.

Well done.

• ____ 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I'm still moving toward this goal but got a lot of "life" coming at me for the next couple of months. We are going to start mortgage-shopping and will be buying our first home and now that we're retired it seems like it's about time! Also, Vicki is looking at some knee surgery in the near future, which may or may not intervene with our house buying plans, so we are taking it slow, and I'm putting off a lot of things that are not pressing, like moving forward with this project.

However on the plus side, as you probably know we moved to Tulsa a bit over a year ago, and for all its faults, there are some genuinely amazing plusses. One is the Tulsa City-County Library system, which is truly world class. Great hi-tech website, lots of community outreach, lots of meeting rooms at every branch, and there are lots of branches, all brand new, shiny and well equipped.

the reason I mention this is that in a couple of branches they have full blown Maker Labs, including vinyl cutters, sewing machines, sound recording equipment, and...3D printers that you can get trained on and book time on, you just have to supply your own raw plastic material whatever it's called!

So I'm going for an orientation on the 12th just to get familiar with it, though I won't be upping my AM sub until the important stuff is taken care of.

• ____ 1