Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Don Bluth University (now open)

Rodney

• Admin

If you have an extra $10K laying around and want to set yourself up for the next golden age of hand drawn animation blockbusters...

Don Bluth has announced his online course that covers a year of instruction.

Having attended a week long animation masterclass with Don I can attest that he is the real deal. (and that one week was not long enough!)

I was also fortunate to have subscribed to his weekly seminars when they were live and got to interact with him during a few workshops.

$10K is well outside my budget so I won't be attending.

A portfolio review is conducted before acceptance into the program as well.

This is a wise decision because while it would be great as youngster with minimal experience to have the opportunity the learning curve is steep and even experienced artist and illustrators may find themselves overwhelmed. Screening students is a good way to make sure they get the absolute best experience and return on the investment.

But having said all of this, one need not spend a great deal of money these days to get the basics down and do dive deeply into animation.

What is represented here is the opportunity to learn from a rare individual who has more experience with animation production (and every aspect of it) than others in the industry.

And even after all these years the man can draw and teach.

There is a promotional video of Don drawing to promote the University here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/donbluth/dragons-lair-the-movie/posts/2074044?ref=email

The University site: http://www.donbluthuniversity.com/

Added: I see that a one week masterclass in Arizona is planned at the end of the year (and included in the registration).

This is a good idea because projects worked on online over the course of the year can be personally attended to with Don at the master class.

Having a full year to gear up to that in person session is a nice way to focus on exactly what is needed to cement what has been learned into place.

I hope Don can be successful in this endeavor and envy those that will spend a year learning from him.

There won't be many more opportunities like this.

I hope the Don Bluth University occassionally throws those of us that cannot attend a bone or two of educational information along the way.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Breakdown of Course

Class 01: Draftsmanship

Class 02: Intro to Animation

Class 03: Animation Timing

Class 04: The Art of Storyboarding

Class 05: The Art of Layout

Class 06: Principles of Acting

Class 07: Script Writing for Animation

Class 08: Orchestration of Color

Class 09: Producing A Short

Class 10: Masterclass in Arizona

The timing seems about right for them to begin looking for talent for their upcoming "Dragon's Lair" Feature Film.

So I wonder if this could be a stepping stone for some to try and get involved in that project. Newbeees with some talent could be

had at cheaper rates. Plus the opportunity to work on "Dragon's Lair" has some serious appeal.

• Admin

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm not a fan of the idea of paying $10K for the opportunity to try out on a film though.

Regarding Dragon's Lair... I know they've finished the pitch... I've seen it!

Now I'm guessing they are shopping around for someone who will create the film.

They did state that there is no guarantee a film (if one is made) will be 2D. There'd be a lot of groaning but It could be CG.

There is a resurgence in hand drawn/digital works in TV animation and I see job listing for those pretty regularly.

Regarless, it is a good opportunity for someone that wants to break in and hasn't had the training.

One could argue that it might be one of the best ways because Don has a unique approach... has trained 100s of animators and also understand the music, layout, storyboarding, directing, producing... the list goes on and on.

I haven't followed everyone that was in the Masterclass with me but most of them are working in the industry in some capacity... some already were of course.

One attendee is now working for Don Bluth and was hired specifically for the Dragon's Lair project.

I must assume he is still going t be there helping with the courses and a film (if any).

I'm happy to see anyone and everyone achieve successful in animation. :)