Hash, Inc. Forums

Making the Medal - 2017

• Hash Fellow

The previous contest medal was insect-themed....

DSC00170_FaceonPlaqueCUsmall.jpg

... so we'll need a new one for "Summer Memories".

Here is the starting point of what it might look like. Thom surfing a wave out of a monitor....

2017MedalMockup01.jpg

• ____ 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

I received my award/certificate by the way for the previous contest but failed to mention it here. Thanks much Robert!

Very impressive!.

Folks should consider such a prize well worthy of submitting an entry in the current contest just for the opportunity to have one of these on their wall.

And speaking of that... I need to get back to working on my entry!

• ____ 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has it been less than a year yet? :-)

My nephew cornered me this weekend asking if I had it yet. I told him about it when I won and he was so enamored with the idea that I was getting a "real" medal that he's still thinking about it and, I gather, told all of his friends at school.

My cred with my nephew is in jeopardy here. :-)

• Hash Fellow

It's  my fault.

The personalization on the back was done with a laser ink process that could image any b/w bitmap onto the metal. It was easy to warp spline fonts with a D box in A:M  to match the curvature of the "scroll" it appeared on and then render that to get the bitmap. The concept was good but in practice the laser ink was kind of blurry and unreliable so this time we will try "diamond etching" to put the text on.

the diamond etcher can't take a bitmap as input, it requires a vector file and I haven't figured out a way to accurately get from the warped font bitmap to a  .eps or .ai vector representation of that without manually tracing it nor have I found a way to export the warped spline fonts directly to a vector art format.

image.png

Here's a video about taking an STL file and using this free slicer software to export the slices as svg.

Seems worth a shot. Looking forward to my First Prize medal!

• 2 weeks later...