Hash, Inc. Forums

Ummm, not sure how to describe this

Goss

I have a project that is five models that can be joined together to make one object. I'm not sure how to do it. I've tried the constraints but since each model is it's own thing, kinematic chains and the translate to, orient like constraints aren't working. Is there another way to do what I am attempting? I've included a screenshot of my starting point. You can figure out the rest. Any suggestions?

lions final mostly.jpg

• Hash Fellow

They make one object?

Constraining them all to a null in the chor would be a way to go.

Or... pick one model that becomes the main one and constrain all the others to it.

I'd need to see more of what you are doing to see what is not working.

• Admin

I think I'd follow the suggestion to animate the individual entities separately and then swap them for another combined model when they act as one entity.

The cool thing being that by dropping all of the separate models into a Choreography we can then save the combination out as a new consolidated model.

The one thing to watch out for (as I recall) would be bones and such that have the same names... at one point we had to avoid that... and perhaps may still need to name those differently.

The benefit to this approach is that repositioning and reorienting the separate models in a Chor is easy.

Once they are in place them save out the new consolidated model.

Other approaches are valid too such as dropping all of the models into an empty model as Action Objects but there are sometimes gotchas and such that might not work well with Action Objects.

BTW Nice models... and fun project!

I think I'd follow the suggestion to animate the individual entities separately and then swap them for another combined model when they act as one entity.

The cool thing being that by dropping all of the separate models into a Choreography we can then save the combination out as a new consolidated model.

The one thing to watch out for (as I recall) would be bones and such that have the same names... at one point we had to avoid that... and perhaps may still need to name those differently.

The benefit to this approach is that repositioning and reorienting the separate models in a Chor is easy.

Once they are in place them save out the new consolidated model.

Other approaches are valid too such as dropping all of the models into an empty model as Action Objects but there are sometimes gotchas and such that might not work well with Action Objects.

BTW Nice models... and fun project!

Thanks, the models, themselves aren't done. I still have to add some details and bones for posing as individuals. The tails are going to be the most difficult not sure if a chain is best for them. that's another matter. In the past, when ever I wanted to combine things all I needed was a generic connector bone that I could translate to and orient like the model bone that was attaching to it. But that was previous versions I have used. For some reason that isn't working.

I have another project where one ship is docked with another and so they can both move by moving the primary vessel. I haven't been able to get my approach to work. I was in skeletal mode and not choreography mode. I've done combo models before. I did a Robotech Aplha/Beta connection sequence and it was able to move as one unit without substituting a completed model of both. Again, that was so long ago, I don't remember how I did it...lol

I thought, if I brought it up someone might say something that jogs my memory :)

My intent is to be able to combine and then pose and do actions like swinging the sword. I'm thinking that, if I build the base skeletal structure for the combined model as part of the Black Lion, it should be able to support the goal I am attempting.

Thank you for the response!!!

Its Voltron, right? If it were me, Id put them all together in an action and add some control bones there. If that didnt work, Id put them all into one model and re-rig it as a single unit.

Yes, it's Voltron. Well, it's the best I can do with the time I have to do it, I get one day a week to work on it. I was torn between using the 80s version and the updated one. I decided to go with the updated one because they looked more like living things than robots. I think you have brought up a good point. If I recall correctly, in the previous combo models I have done, I did the combination sequences in an action. That was only two models with a very simple connection. Will an action actually support five complicated models in it?