Hash, Inc. Forums

largento

In v. 17, we got a new feature: Retopology.

Something like six years later, I finally got around to using it! :-)

Here's a quick bit of niftiness. I needed a cartoon brain for the image I'm working on and it seemed a daunting modeling challenge. Seeing how someone else was able to do it with another piece of software, I realized I could do the same in A:M.

I started off with a fairly dense sphere model I created with the Primitive wizard and cut it in half and worked it into a reasonable "lobe" shape.

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 1.53.23 PM.png

I created a new Cho and placed an empty model for the brain and the dense model and set to work. Once in model mode (with snap to surface clicked), I began drawing squiggly splines on the surface of the dense model, just trying to cover the area. I wasn't actually trying to recreate the actual brain structures.

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 2.01.10 PM.png

With that, I had a model with a bunch of squiggly lines that matched the shape of the brain.

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 2.01.52 PM.png

I created a cross section and used the Sweeper Plug-in to turn those squiggly lines into tubes. I then duplicated and flipped it to make the other side and Voila! A quick, squishy brain!

brain0.png

• ____ 1