Hash, Inc. Forums

Couple texture questions on v19

I have been doing quite a bit of pewter castings and they are antiqued. Curious if I can apply a decal to a prop in 19?

Also need to create a texture that can fill in the dents and recesses but keep the tops shiney (pbr) but I don't want to have to use a 3rd party program like 3d Coat to do this. Can this be done in AM? Is there a stock shader floating around that can be close enough?

Sorry for the edit, found a better image of base product so you can see how they look.

IMG_0714.JPG

• Hash Fellow

It seem you can not apply a decal to a Prop.

However you can apply a material to a prop and the "projection map" material allows you to position a bitmap image on a surface.

The effect you show there looks quite a bit like how AO darkens the recesses of an object. I'd do an overhead AO render of one, then position it back on the with the Projection material.

Use the render both as a color map and as a specular map (to make the recesses dull and the high parts shiny)

I was thinking of using AO for this, not sure how extreme I can make it. Too bad we still can't apply decals to props but for now I have a product sheet for my customer that shows the 2d art for layout, the 3d models I been banging out from FZ and as you can see they are Boolean city and need to be water tight for 3d printing. 3dCoat seems to get funky with the faces and loses some which shows in the renders.

Just working the quickest way to get a virtual to the customers without breaking the bank and over engineering this stuff. They love to make changes :(