Hash, Inc. Forums

the Elastobone

• *A:M User*

That seems like that would be impossible to do without some very expensive engineering, or materials that we don't currently have.

Also....there are trombone forums?

• Hash Fellow

That seems like that would be impossible to do without some very expensive engineering, or materials that we don't currently have.

Very impossible.

A truly conical bore instrument that you can also change the length to change the pitch is pretty much a geometric impossibility. Like having a triangle that also has two parallel sides. :D

Also....there are trombone forums?

It's remarkable how much discussion there is over there when the trombone hasn't changed much in 400 years.

• Admin

Robert, you are on to something there.

I shall now go and up my investment in rare earth metals.

Nice demo BTW.

That's what is so great about 3D software. It's great for showing off things both real and imagined. :)

• Hash Fellow

So, over on the trombone forum I also say that having a conical trombone is possible like having a triangle with parallel sides is possible, and someone helpfully points out that in some non-plane geometry it is possible.

Fine, I say, all you have to do is get to the universe where that works on a trombone.

It's probably the universe where Spock has a mullet, I say, thinking there is no such thing.

And then someone comes up with this...

e2b9d9d46870f8c644f6919bccc444a1--mullet

• Admin

Looks like Walt Disney may have caught a glimpse of that other universe back in '29 as recorded in 'Mickey's Follies'.

The Elastobone universe... not the Spockmullet universe that is.

Wow. Sorry for the huge gif.

Let me see if I can shrink it.

Hmmm... got it from 12.5MB down to 6MB with a few tweaks... more testing required.

Edit: Looks like 5.7MB is the best for the moment without losing too much quality.

ThatOtherUniverse8.gif

• Hash Fellow

Looks like Walt Disney may have caught a glimpse of that other universe back in '29 as recorded in 'Mickey's Follies'.

That's great! I guess some stagehand was ready to throw him that trombone when he needed it.