Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Fuchur

Hello everybody,

this is totally off topic concerning 3d (which is why it is in the "Off Topic" forum but it would be cool to hear from you about this and maybe even get help with testing it. (see below)

I recently developed and added a new app to the windows store. It can be used to create your own film database or better to say:
It is meant for managing your Blu-Ray, DVD, VHS (or any other medium with a barcode) collection in a better way.

In my family we still buy Blu-rays and we have been collecting DVDs and Blu-Rays for years now. In total we are at about 1300 DVDs and Blu-Rays and we lost track a long time ago what has been there in that collection ;). Like that it sometimes occured, that people were buying the same movies twice because they just did not know that someone else did already get that movie before.
To get rid of this problem I created a website and a corresponding app, which should help us(and now you) to keep track.
The app (or website) can be used to create your own movie database in a very fast and easy way by using the camera (smartphone/tablet cam or webcam) of your device and scanning in the barcode on the case of the disc. The app will search for information about the movie on the internet and help you categorize the movie and saving all that info into the database. Because the database is online ("in the cloud"... although I hate that expression) you will be able to access it with your smartphone (through the app or the website) whereever you have access to the internet and by sharing one account with your family you can give them access to your collection of movie entries too. (important: This is not about the movie-files itself but only about meta information about the movie).

Then you can search in the database using different properties like Name, Description, Release Date, Length, Genre, Barcode, etc. or you can even let you give random movie suggestions if you want to watch a movie but you are not sure which one it should be.
(and there is more to come ;) )

The app is free and can be found on the Windows Store here or if you are on Android or iOS/OSX you can use it with the website. (although in that case, barcode scanning will not be available and you will have to insert the EAN / UPC code manually which still is much faster than writing every information yourself). It is available in German and English. (the screenshot shows my database with the english interface. If you login in with the English language, you will receive the information in english too.)

If you want to get the most out of it, you can even use the unique identifier, write it on the case of your movie and sort them in your cupboard to easily find any movie very fast by first searching for it in the database and than using the ID to find it physically in your cupboard.

This is how you can get the app or go to the website:
- App for Windows 10 PCs, Tablets, Smartphones or Hololens (with barcode scanning using the device camera):
https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9n4qrcg89xh4

- Website for Android, iOS/OSX, Linux or Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 based devices (without barcode scanning using the device camera):
https://filmdatenbank.patchwork3d.de/

- More info can be found here:
https://www.patchwork3d.de/blog-5-en/filmdatenbank-new-uwp-app-in-windows-store-775

So why am I writing all this?
Because I'd need someone from the US to have a look if it is working for you too. The app is based on EAN (European Barcode) which is very close to the UPC (US barcode system) and should work too, especially since I recently included a service which should work better with the UPCs of your DVDs and Blurays. But I can only test that theoretically because I do not have any kind of DVD or Blu-ray from the US with the UPC barcode on it.

It would be of great help if someone could test the system and tell me, if it works or if I have to find another solution.

Best regards and thank you very much in advance for trying it out
*Fuchur*

PS: If you like it, please do not forget to rate it in the store. :)

filmdatenbank_544_1496003070.png

screenshot_fdb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you :).

It really is quite good. I am currently implementing showing movie poster for it.

But the real deal is how well you can find your movies and how easy it is to add one.

See you

*Fuchur*

Thanks :). Yeah, that is a key feature... it makes the whole process much faster than having to put in the number itself or even having to insert all the information by yourself.

See you

*Fuchur*

Hm, interesting idea but what do you plan to do with that? Which list? Where does it come from?

See you

*Fuchur*

Here's my use case: I am in The process of collecting every movie made by Disney and pixar. I currently have a spreadsheet of titles,but what would be nice is to build a database that compares a list of current owned titles against a list of current titles,to tell me where the holes are. Or, enter a title then have the app tell me if it is in the owned list or need list. Now I could do that myself in a spreadsheet and macros or in a db like mysql, but where's the fun in that?. An additional bonus would be the ability to store the app data on the cloud say in a Google drive, then grant multiple android devices access to the files.

Hm, interesting idea but what do you plan to do with that? Which list? Where does it come from?

See you

*Fuchur*

Here's my use case: I am in The process of collecting every movie made by Disney and pixar. I currently have a spreadsheet of titles,but what would be nice is to build a database that compares a list of current owned titles against a list of current titles,to tell me where the holes are. Or, enter a title then have the app tell me if it is in the owned list or need list. Now I could do that myself in a spreadsheet and macros or in a db like mysql, but where's the fun in that?. An additional bonus would be the ability to store the app data on the cloud say in a Google drive, then grant multiple android devices access to the files.

I'd say, that is not close enough to the intended purpose of my app. That is more like a use case for win merge and two excel/text files or something like that

Actually my app is based on a mysql database and a php / javascript / html/ css interface on my webserver (which is better than any cloudspace data files because it is simply much much faster to work with and search in)

But adding a wishlist would be something different and i may add such a thing in a future release.

Thank you very much anyway for the heads up. We will see what will come out of it.

Best regards

*Fuchur*