Hash, Inc. Forums

Render to Apple Pro-Res on Windows

http://aescripts.com/aftercodecs/

I figure these guys are going to make a million dollars, then lose it all to an Apple lawsuit.

For the last 5+ years, Apple's Pro-Res Quicktime compression has been the standard in video playback and delivery in the pro world. And Apple being Apple- they made it so that Windows users could read, but not write Pro-Res files. Which has been a royal pain to Windows users (most just keep an old Apple around for conversions)... 3rd party solutions have come and gone, most simply don't work, or were too complicated command line stuff. An article I read explained that Apple had tied part of the conversion to something inherant in Apple hardware that is not found in PC's... whatever, it has been quite a roadblock... until now. I am going to test the free version and will report my findings.

AE Scripts is usually a pretty reliable source for erthwhile plug-ins. $55 not too bad- they could charge $300 and sell a ton of them.

They also claim a Mac version is coming soon... which begged the question, WHY? from a mac user. Here is 3 good reasons- they claim:

-faster ecoding(for Pro-Res and H264) in the AE Render Queue than After Effects can do.

-smaller file sizes than AE writes.

-better image quality/less artifacts than AE produces.

We'll see!

appears to WORK!

Trial is limited to 500 frames- doesn't seem to be a time limit. There is a little bit to learn about it... and you need to install ffmpeg which AfterCodecs is built upon... but, I just successfully encoded a Pro-Res on my PC! Happy Day!!

Very interesting!

I use Miraizon for years now to export prores on Windows and it works great, but they do not seem to sell it anymore.

I'll look into it.

Thxs for this.