Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nemyax

3D graphics data interchange: general discussion

This topic is for everything related to interchange of data among 3D programs. This forum has a few tool-specific discussions going, but there's no "catch-all" topic for sharing such knowledge.

I'd like to start with this little curiosity:

https://heimlich1024.github.io/OD_CopyPasteExternal/

It's a very simple idea:

• "Copying" means converting geometry in your source software to some text in a custom format and writing the text to the system clipboard
  • "Pasting" is the reverse—reading the system clipboard and converting the contents to geometry in your destination software

Essentially it's import/export, but with the clipboard instead of files. My first reaction was "why not just read and write OBJ then?" but apparently the proposed format supports more stuff than OBJ does.

We'll wait and see if this format (and method) gains traction.

Quite interesting...
it of cause will "loose" the steps done inbetween (files can be kept so that each step is available afterwards and if something goes wrong you can easily go back to that step), but of cause this is MUCH faster.

I like it a lot :).

See you

*Fuchur*

Interesting that most of the programming (for the Paste/External Import/External application) appears to be in python.

That's a plus.

Rodney

That's only because the host software has Python bindings. For A:M, this thing would be done in C++.

I would think it would be best if they used any program that used a common i/o like fbx or Collada.

I have been migrating 3d models from different programs for too many years and there is no perfect solution because every 3d program does something different or they simply have incompatible geometry structure ie: nurbs, patch, poly, spline etc.

Recently I have been converting many of my open nurbs models only into Formz only to find that many simply don't open because the 3dm importer is out of date. I also find in the case of cad modelers especially ones that use any parametric information that the parametric controls get lost and you end up reconstructing the models from their lowest levels.

It would be so cool to take an AM file and convert the patches into nurb bodies or bring nurb patches and convert them to AM patches. I think at best they will end up going back to the same old low level triangle only geometries and if your lucky, keep some of the uv's

It would be so cool to take an AM file and convert the patches into nurb bodies or bring nurb patches and convert them to AM patches.

Not really feasible, here's just a couple of reasons:

• NURBS patches' parametric texture coordinates versus A:M's UVs
  • NURBS patches' arbitrary trims—you get nothing of the sort in A:M

There are a million other reasons when you start thinking about it.

A:M supports some exotic formats called KFM and MOT. What are they? Has anyone ever used them?

8rSrEXH.png

A little guess work on my part here as I've forgotten (and never used either either keyframe (KFM) or Motion (MOT) files.

.MOT files should be Genesis 3D motion data. I believe the primary application folks used with it was Milkshape 3D.

When combining an actor (.ACT.... not to be confused with Hash Inc's Action (.ACT) files games similar to Castle Wolfenstein could be created.

KFM files... hmmm... I'm drawing a blank on that one.

At a guess I'd say it is a Hash Inc format.

I'll dig a little deeper.

Edit: From what I can tell KFM is a format used by Gamebryo (a middleware company). I'd say that Avalanche software likely used them and the format for exporting animation from A:M into their game engine.

From what I can tell the keyframe data stores Bone motion (not mesh deformation).

It contains only transorm, rotation and scale data (no smartskin transforms etc. although I haven't actually tested with smartskin)