Hash, Inc. Forums

I'm Martin, and I'm Back

martin

Hi Martin!

I have just peeked to the Forum after a long, long time of absence and first thing I saw was your post! This is a great news for the community and I'm really curious what the future will bring for A:M.
Looks like I will have to visit this forum more often! :-)

Dusan, missed ya, man. Thanks for hooking up with me on Facebook. Looks like you're making some cool stuff.

Hi Martin!

I have just peeked to the Forum after a long, long time of absence and first thing I saw was your post! This is a great news for the community and I'm really curious what the future will bring for A:M.
Looks like I will have to visit this forum more often! :-)

Hey Martin, I just watched “ The Founder “ with Michael Keaton - awesome moofee and incidentally I was researching on render farms when I decided to check in here it was awesome meeting you, I’m still very optimistic about AM, its good you moved on, I always like the saying, success is the best form of payback and the software is maturing fine with age, come on in dip your feet in again ! Great to have you back on the boards.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Martin, was it you at the Chicago WizardCon back in---oh, 2003 or 2004? At the Hash A:M booth demo-ing the software?

Rich

That would have been my brother, Marshall. I did demo a LOT in the early days. My son, Heath, demos the software now.

We discussed which shows we would like to do, and what we expect to get while we're doing them. I suggested we contact the guest artists and invite them to hangout in our booth, maybe sign autographs. I know when we go to a show, it's nice to talk to people like us. Customers are always welcome, especially when most of you are more than customers, you're part of the family.

This is exciting news. I always enjoyed the expos with lively demos, posters, and new tips and tricks I picked-up even in a few minutes. The guys staffing the booth were always helpful with WIP issues I had, and I could jump right in on the project on my laptop at the hotel that night. I remember that Steve S. and the Crouchers helped me a bunch. They probably thought: "Oh this guy again?", but they were always cool.

I was at Siggraph LA this year, and it was sort of sad with way less company attendance than usual... and of course you guys have been missed by me and many others attending the show for the years you have not had a booth.

Looking forward to more new info...

Thanks,

Andy

• 4 months later...

Hey Martin, just got to say a big 'Thank You'! As someone who has played a small planet wildly orbiting the blazing sun of your brilliance for almost 30 years (and I mean that) I am very thankful for you and the little program that you birthed so long ago.

A large part of my career can be directly attributed to your little program that could. It's made me a 'butt'load of money through the years. Even with big dollar programs and cutting edge tools at my disposal, I still find myself jumping back to the little program that's hung with me all this time...warts and all.

Pre-Avalanche was a new startup called Sculptured Software...aka George Metos, Hal Rushton, and crew in the days of Atari, Gameboy and the beginning of the Nintendo NES. I somehow found your program way back then and used it to animate the base loops for sprite based character animation. It was the beginning of a long journey. I was a freelancer and HASH was the largest tool in my toolkit (right alongside DPaint and DPaint Animator. :-)

As the years have rolled by I've been privy to some of the yuck that you described in the short history that started this thread. I was a contractor and did stints with Avalanche and many other studios back in the day. I even used custom tools (obviously AM spinoffs) used by Disney/Avalanche in SLC. As a contractor, I didn't know any of the backstory but was jazzed that the tools were based on AM because they were familiar to me. Of course, Jeff B. was mum about it all.

I'll leave things there...like water long ago swept under the proverbial bridge, and just end by saying what I feel. Thanks for your brilliance, for your fortitude, and for unknowingly helping me set the course of my career in the world of visual imagery. It's been a great ride! It still is. :mdl:

• ____ 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Martin you wild and crazy guy, I hope you make some movies with A:M and show us some stuff. I second your kudos and appreciation to Stefen Gross and Jason Simonds , I hope they are rewarded for their efforts. I want to see A:M continue to flourish.

• 1 month later...

Hi Martin,

Sorry, I know I'm 12 months late but....Welcome Back!

I don't do much animation at home now. Doing animation all day every day in the games industry has greatly reduced my enthusiasm and stamina for that. However, I did use A:M for parts of a music video I did in spare time a couple of years ago. I do still love the software and feel nothing but excitement every time I think of it. I had one such flash of nostalgia just now and decided to look in on the forum again and saw your post. Fantastic!

Dale

• Thanks 1
  • ____ 2