Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Makehuman Obj Import

fae_alba

So my darling daughter has made a whole bevy of make human characters for s story she is writing. She asked if I could bring them into am and see if they could be rigged and animated. I tried one character (below) and while it imported, some weirdness ensued.

The big issue is that while I can see the imported model in wireframe mode in the modeling window, it disappears in shaded mode. The mesh appears ok (though way way too dense).

Has anyone had experience bringing in these obj files before?

Ryan-20170104T200945Z.zip

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Here is the converted model for AM

Importing polygonal models into AM, is interesting if they are not subdivided (low-poly), because in AM it will be subdivided again.

Currently the better to import a polygons model is to go through Blender using the Nemyax plugin. (https://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47778&hl=nemyax&do=findComment&comment=409574)

To go from Makehuman to AM, I advise to go through export to Blender of Makehuman (because it keeps UVs, bones and weights, which can be converted for AM).

Hope that can help you. :)

I experimented a little with makhuman yesterday. I could not for the life of me find a way to reduce the density of the mesh being saved. Being so new I figure it's a learning curve issue, but right now, while it's great to be able to construct human models this way, the high density, and honestly the still generic looking models, it's almost not worth it. The work that would be involved to reduce the patch count would be more than building a character from the ground up in am.

Again my opinion is formed based on my newbie status with both makehuman and blender, so if I'm wrong, speak up!

This is a real Achilles Heel for Hash. There just isn't an efficient means of transferring this data in a usable way. I stress "Efficient". It can be done,

but it's just way too time consuming and difficult with all the workarounds and such. Once the models are cut down, details are lost.

There is hope and I'm glad to see the work via Blender. But then again, there's a huge learning curve and it takes time. Lots of time and

R&D.