Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Moon Walk

Hi all. Looking for some CC&C (constructive comments and criticism) on the following:

Sorenson Video 2, 33 seconds, 1.2 MB, 480x204

The lunar module was graciously donated by Vernon Zehr from his private collection; all the rest is mine. The texturing for Neil Armstrong isn't done yet.

Mostly I'm looking for thoughts on the movement. I'm trying to keep in mind that gravity is one-tenth of normal, but his amount of mass (inertia) remains the same, so he still has a good amount of squash and stretch even as he falls slower.

Anyway, I seem to be at a point where it's OK, but not quite right, and I humbly ask for your thoughts.

Thanks!

Zach

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is hypnotic! :blink: I really get the sense of the moon's gravity, or lack of.

Few things I noticed, FFTIOBO ('feel free to ignore or be offended')

1 - The weight when both legs hit the ground seems like it should favour the right leg more as it settles. At the moment it appears to go to the left, then straight down. Should it be left then a little to the right to settle?

2 - His turn to the left seems a little bit too nibble. Could it be more awkward?

3 - The balance as he side steps out appears a little bit off - He may be stepping too far...

4 - Please have him fall over backwards as he looks up at the end. :D

ZachBG - I think the animation so far looks great, I think he's surppose to float a little since he's on the moon, right now there is no indication that there is gravity.

** what's your render output SIZE ? I would like to use the same for my underwater scene.

cheers!!!

• Hash Fellow
I'm trying to keep in mind that gravity is one-tenth of normal,
one sixth ;)

The problem you're going to have is that the real motion they did will look like cheap animation.

The suits were very stiff (because of the internal air pressure vs. external vacuum) so for the most part their "walks" consisted of small hops launched by pushing off with their toes/ankles. Fully articulated leg bends were more effort than they were worth.

NA is pretty much doing a hop from step to step when he's coming down the ladder, not that the video from that was terribly clear.

And if you want to be really accurate add the camera that took that video on a panel flipped down from the facet of the descent module to NA's right.

Even more awkward for animation, the LEM wasn't facing into the sun.

But the landscape and astronaut look great, much like actual pictures I've seen.

1 - The weight when both legs hit the ground seems like it should favour the right leg more as it settles. At the moment it appears to go to the left, then straight down. Should it be left then a little to the right to settle?

2 - His turn to the left seems a little bit too nibble. Could it be more awkward?

3 - The balance as he side steps out appears a little bit off - He may be stepping too far...

4 - Please have him fall over backwards as he looks up at the end. :D

Oh, wait 'til you see the punch line, it's even better. B) I think you're absolutely spot-on with (1); thank you for crystallizing that.

The problem you're going to have is that the real motion they did will look like cheap animation.

The suits were very stiff (because of the internal air pressure vs. external vacuum) so for the most part their "walks" consisted of small hops launched by pushing off with their toes/ankles. Fully articulated leg bends were more effort than they were worth.

You know, I've looked at the videos a bunch doing this, but I never got it. I mean, I saw what I saw, but I never thought "Hey, I should just keep the limbs straight." Thanks.

I don't know if I'll go that route, because as you say, it'll look like crappy animation. But you've given me a lot to think about.

But the landscape and astronaut look great, much like actual pictures I've seen.

Thanks!

The only thing that I noticed is that towards the end of the ani his right foot travels through the landing pad.

:o Those darn landing pads, I keep telling them to remain in our space-time continuum (New -> Constraint -> Laws of Physics) but I don't think that's implemented in the Mac OS X Beta yet...

Thanks, everyone, I'll post another version soon.

Zach :D

Looks Great!

I still detect a problem showing the lack of gravity. Google the web and find some Nasa footage. Once you see some of the astonauts "hopping" around, you may have a better feel for animating.

But... Overall, I think it looks very good! I like the lighting and lunar surface!

Keep up the good work! Its coming along very well!

• Admin

Wow! What to say... that's cool.

Other than what has been said... (He seems to step down to the ground... but then step down even further)... the only thing I might want to change is perhaps a quick zoom in from afar at the very beginning. I'd guess you'd favor a slower zoom in from afar if you are wanting to keep the pace... slow.

Can't wait to see the whole thing!!! :)

Version Two.

Sorenson 3, 1.3MB, 34 seconds

I gotta say, animation is hard. :( Some of the new version is better, some--the step off the LEM in particular--is really sketchy.

The ending of this one pretty much expresses my feeling about one-sixth gravity animation. :)

I wish there was some way I could get the "lunar lope"--where the astronaut launches himself from one leg to the other without really bending his legs--to work, but I can't figure out how to make it look good. That, I suppose, would probably the best way to get him off the LEM footpad.

I think this'll have to do, though, because I doubt I'll have time to re-render before the space contest deadline. Whoops--there goes my vaunted anonymity. :blink:

Zach

WooHoo! Yeehaa!

I am thrilled to death that someone could make use of my apollo models! It makes me feel all warm and gooey inside....no...wait...sorry that was the burrito I had for lunch...

Anyway, excellent job!

I agree that Neilly needs some work. He needs to be a little more bouncy.

Great job dude! I LOVE THE GAG! Godzilla vs. Bambi! You may want some more wreckage sticking out from under the foot or some dust, at first it looks like another astronaut in the foreground. I knew it wasn't but....

Hey? I just watched it like a minute ago and there was no gag...I think...am I losing my mind?

p.s. the only other model of mine someone used was an ethernet cable in an image contest entry a while back.... or was it the electrical plug...can't remember.

Vernon "Where's the Pepto?" Zehr

Imagine what the real astronauts must have felt like faking it in that studio in California :lol: j/k Excellent job

eeww! Don't joke about that. I still have the nightmares!

When I did the research to build the apollo stuff that Zach has put to very good use here I kept getting links to Apollo debunkers and faked moon landing sites.

I started to doubt... they are very convincing.

p.s. So... if Bush sends men to the moon... will this be the first landing? Or will they fake it this time as well?

Vernon "Stay away from moonies!" Zehr

And I thought it was a disco ball that fell in Alien Song, but I guess a lunar lander does look a little like a disco ball.

You know, there's a symmetry here, just like when Dorothy's house fell on the witch...

Oh, and Vern: There can't be more debris from the lander scattered about by the big foot, because remember the lander isn't in the same space-time continuum! Silly Vern!

Jim

-- I Will Survive --