Hash, Inc. Forums

Toon render options

In the toon render options there is a tonal scale which allows you to set small tags along it which appears to compress the band widths of the tones in the scale(?)

Is there a way to control the tonal range into narrow, definable bands, eg 16 or 12 or is it a case of adjusting the tags until the desired result is obtained ?

Thanks for your time and consideration

simon

• Hash Fellow

In the toon render options there is a tonal scale which allows you to set small tags along it which appears to compress the band widths of the tones in the scale(?)

Is there a way to control the tonal range into narrow, definable bands, eg 16 or 12 or is it a case of adjusting the tags until the desired result is obtained ?

Thanks for your time and consideration

simon

12 bands sounds like a lot for toon shading but, yes, you basically adjust the markers by hand to get the divisions you want.

I imagine text editing a file would be a way to get precise results.

Pardon me if this is waffle but,

Ansell Adams invented the zone system of exposure for use with BW film photography. It made sure his work was beautifully exposed for the right quality of print. In toon mode, you can get a similar effect by choosing the range to work with, as explainedby Robert above,

Is it possible to do it with non toon renders?

ie

you choose the range of tones you want in a render rather than go for the full range ?

simon

• Admin

Is it possible to do it with non toon renders?

ie

you choose the range of tones you want in a render rather than go for the full range

Via a Post Effect it is.

I imagine the Post Effect would need to be applied to a Camera to get the effect 'in render' otherwise it'd be more of an actual 'post' effect (i.e. process applied to a final image).

The Tint post effect has several presets that can be selected but it can also be customized to a range between any two colors.

In addition to the standard (old) post effect there is the newer GPU post effects that also include a Tint effect that operates much like the old one.

Edit: The GPU effects don't include a 'tint' but rather only two tint-like presets (among other options). Those are sepia and negative.

I haven't tried to nest more than one post effect (via A:M Composite) to get a wider range... I'll have to try that.

Added: Don't forget that because the Toon effect is determined by model/group surface settings you can have different objects present different ranges of the effect. So in effect (pun intended!) we could have distant objects appear as in in one range, near objects another and those inbetween something else.

Rodney

Thank you very much for your reply.

When you mention the GPU option is that only available with windows or is it also available for Macs and is it V18 only or also available for V17 ?

I have V18 but use V17 after some earlier advice ( about a year ago ).

I am hoping to upgrade to V19 when it comes out ( or at least the last version of V18 ) but was a bit concerned bout the problems last time that had been caused by OSX glitches ?

regards

simon

• Admin
When you mention the GPU option is that only available with windows or is it also available for Macs and is it V18 only or also available for V17 ?

I'm sorry to say I don't know.

That the GPU post effect features only apply to Windows does sound familar and that may in fact be the case.

Sorry if I led you astray with that.

• Hash Fellow

Toon shading can be set in a material so that only objects with that material get it.

Also you can get toon shading without Toon lines by using

PluginShaders>ON

Diffuse render Shader>Gradient

and set the color spectrum beneath that option in the manner you do for toon shading.

This can also be set in a material for selective use.

I'm sorry to say I don't know.

That the GPU post effect features only apply to Windows does sound familar and that may in fact be the case.

Sorry if I led you astray with that.

Rodney.

No apology needed. Thank you for your help. I'm just experimenting with different render styles. There were some plugins a while back that gave you a watercolour type effect but the person who developed them had moved ( possibly to Pixar ) and i could find no instructions on how to use them. I think they may have been PC only too.

I thought about getting a PC laptop for that and other aspects but ( without wanting to start an unnecessary debate ) my experience of PC reliabilty was not one to savour. My last PC ( a reputable make ) ate three Hd's in as many years, it was not a happy tech time.

Regards

simon

Toon shading can be set in a material so that only objects with that material get it.

Also you can get toon shading without Toon lines by using

PluginShaders>ON

Diffuse render Shader>Gradient

and set the color spectrum beneath that option in the manner you do for toon shading.

This can also be set in a material for selective use.

Robert

Thank you for your help. I was unaware of those options I shall try that with the next characters.

Regards

simon