Hash, Inc. Forums

Anyone remember Moonraker?

Roger

• *A:M User*

Was watching Moonraker tonight after work and I ran across something really odd.

As I remember, the henchman Jaws had a love interest, Dolly. Now, that's not the odd thing, the odd thing is her appearance.

This is how I remember it: right after the tram car crashes into the building, Dolly comes to check on Jaws, he emerges from the wreckage and smiles at her.

She smiles back...revealing a set of braces. That was the whole joke, was that they had mouths full of metal and it was love at first sight.

Except in the copy I was watching, there were no braces. And when I did a Google image search on her, also no braces. Does anyone else remember this movie the way I do? I could be mistaken but I could have sworn she had braces.

I suppose it could have been digitally altered, my copy is a 50th anniversary DVD copy, but it does seem odd to me. Anyone have an old copy of Moonraker or remember the character as having braces?

• *A:M User*

I suspect that it was digitally altered but would have to step through it frame-by-frame and I'm not sure I could prove it even then. The actress has gone on record saying that she did not wear braces for the part, yet I clearly remember seeing her in braces when I saw Moonraker on Turner Classic Movies at one point. Maybe my memory is bad but I don't think so.

• Hash Fellow

Without the braces, there's no joke there!

I guess we were all imaging better jokes than the movie really had.

Someone should get that actress and stick her in a cameo in one of the new Bonds, with braces, just to make things right.

They should start making funny Bonds again, too.

I don't remember the braces, myself, but I doubt they would have digitally removed them.

I recently watched the extras on the 50th anniversary blu-ray set and no mention was made of it.

There is a weird thing where the brain sometimes writes the punchline for you. Back in the 90s, I remember posting on the Douglas Adams newsgroups about the fact that I had originally mis-read Ford Prefect's name a Ford Perfect. Several people posted to say they had done the exact same thing. The Ford Prefect joke was lost on us Americans who didn't know that it was a car. So, we thought the joke was that he had named himself "perfect."

I started with the novel and the first time I noticed it was "Prefect" I think I thought it was a typo and was surprised to see that I'd been reading it wrong the entire time.

In Googling, I did find a guy who checked an early VHS copy of Moonraker and confirmed the braces weren't there. There certainly wasn't the ability to digitally remove the braces in the early 1980s.

http://www.the007dossier.com/007dossier/post/2016/09/25/Moonraker-and-the-Mandela-Effect

I've seen reference to this "Mandela Effect" which appears to be the brain misfiring (similar to Deja Vu) and making you think that something you remember one way turns out to be another way and it's like the universe somehow changed. Of course, just like people think Deja Vu is a paranormal thing, people think the Mandela Effect is the merging of alternate universes.

• 1 month later...