Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rodney

Copy Crash in v18 and v19 - Can someone confirm?

I'm running into an interesting Copy issue and before initiating a report would like to see if anyone else can reproduce the problem.

Steps to repeat:

Open A:M (latest v18 or v19 Alpha)

Open the Library, go to the Models tab and open the Giraffe model

Make sure you are in Front view and select the left half of the Giraffe's mesh

Use Control C to copy via keyboard

It is at this point where I always get a crash.

The error message produced is an unhandled Win32 exception in Master_64.exe (21184)

This error does not occur with simpler models in the Library such as the bottle and the car.

As of this moment the only model that I can get to reproduce the error is the Giraffe.

Workaround: Do not copy half of a giraffe. :)

I'm hoping there is something about the mesh layout of the giraffe that may inform solutions to other copy/paste problems that are difficult to reproduce.

Copy Error   Unhandled Exception in Master_64 exe 21184.png

I don't have library set up.

Does it happen if you open the giraffe in the conventional manner as a model?

Does it happen if you open the giraffe in the conventional manner as a model?

Yes, opening via Library is the same as opening in convential manner or of drag/dropping into A:M.

I gave it a try with v19.

I opened the giraffe using Objects>RMB>Import>Model

It spins for several seconds after i do CTRL-c but doesn't crash. However, nothing gets copied into the copy buffer... Nothing is pasted when I do CTRL-v

That was on the left side.

If I do the right side it copies faster and I can paste the copied half with CTRL-v

That is very curious.

Worked fine for me on v19. No difference of left or right side, and paste into a new object window worked with no problems

Had the same error using the 32 and 64 bit versions of 18.0P. it only seems to happen with the Giraffe's mesh only

If someone has time, it would be interesting to try this with giraffes from previous installations of A:M and see when they were working properly.

If someone has time, it would be interesting to try this with giraffes from previous installations of A:M and see when they were working properly.

It's a bit far afield but I gave it a test in v7 (1999) and see no problem there.

I suppose that works as a starting place to test as that's roughly the time frame when the Giraffe was first introduced.

So much changed circa v11/v12 that testing after that would be ideal.

Added: I get a crash on the half copy of the Giraffe via v15j+.

Of potential interest might be that I used a giraffe model from v16 or so because there was no giraffe model in the giraffe tutorial folder for my v15 installation.

This error DOES NOT appear to be related to the decal. The crash still occurs with the decal removed.

Similarly, the crash still occurs if all bones are removed.

There is some general ugliness in modeling at the horns of the giraffe.

When removing the various splines related to those horns I no longer get the crash.

Attached is the first edit of the giraffe model where I no longer get the crash.

I'll upload another version that represents a mesh where I always get the crash.

This makes me wonder if the problem relates to internal patches but more likely it seems to be some form of spline continuity problem.

I"m not sure why that would cause an error in the paste buffer but that's where I am presently in trying to narrow down the variables.

I'm currently testing in v15j+ but will validate in v18 and v19 as well.

It seems that if I copy/paste the entire mesh and then attempt the half copy I don't get the crash so A:M appears to be correcting the problem.

I should be able to create two versions of the file (the first with the problem) and the second without and run a comparison to see what A:M automatically repaired and is therefore different.

I not sure that will quite determine the problem but it's nice to know that a copy/paste of the whole model does appear to resolve the copy error with the half.

works.mdl

bad 000.mdl

The fact that you get an actual crash in v19 is good enough reason for a bug report since the program should deal with an error more elegantly than that.

I suggest you screen cam the process from beginning to end and include that with your report

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this