Hash, Inc. Forums
Guest TJ

Unable to Start After Installation

Guest TJ

I downloaded and installed v18.0 (64 bit) using the supplied PDF instruction sheet. After installation, AM came up and I poked around a bit (my previous version was v13) and I shut it down. The following day I came in to do some modeling and when I hit the icon, I got a pop-up saying

"Wrong host for license (-4)"

and then nothing.

Does this mean I wasn't supposed to get the 64 bit version?

And how do I get it up and running?

Thanks,

TJ

That's very odd.

That's what we might see if the activation server is down. but...

Does this mean I wasn't supposed to get the 64 bit version?

No, that error is an activation error. But you said you'd already activated A:M and used it. Very strange.

If you aren't running a 64bit version of Windows you'll want to download, install and activate the 32bit version but otherwise you should be able to use both/either.

If you've changed any hardware recently you may need to get another activation code but my sense is that should not be the case here.

Fuchur (Gerald) should have a clue as to how to best proceed so hopefully he'll chime in an assist.

using the supplied PDF instruction sheet

Whoa. Now I'm jealous. I don' t think I've ever gotten a PDF instruction sheet.

I'm logged in now, I posted this.

I'm definitely on a 64 bit OS machine and I didn't start AM the first time, it started automatically at the end of the install so that may have by-passed something. But now, nothing but the pop-up I described above.

And there has been no hardware change since I installed AM 3 days ago.

Is this the trial version or have you purchased a subscription?

Neither. It should be a fully licensed install (not a subscription). I have every version from 2000 to 2007 when Hash would show at SIGGRAPH. Recently I was trying to get my last (v13) to run on my Windows 7 box but it wouldn't. I emailed Support and they replied:

"I do not think older CD version work in Windows 7. An update killed that we do not know of a work around. But we can offer you the "trade show" price to update."

So, I took the offer, made the payment, and got an email with the PDF attachment with the link to download and the activation code along with links to other resources.

TJ

Now you have a master0.lic file in your AM folder?

(the "subscription" what we all buy. It's a fully licensed install.)

Sorry, not sure how to quote previous replies. However,

From robcat2075:

(the "subscription" what we all buy. It's a fully licensed install.)"

I was not expecting to get a one year subscription with the purchase as I paid more than the annual subscription fee.

"Now you have a Master0.lic file in your AM folder?"

I will have to check tonight? If I do, what does that mean and how do I proceed?

Thanks again for your help

Tom

it started automatically at the end of the install so that may have by-passed something

It sounds to me like the auto start bypassed the activation process.

If you didn't see an activation dialog where you enter your activation code then that would appear to be the case.

There are two things this might mean:

1) You will have to contact Jason@hash.com to get a new activation code as the previous one 'activated' automatically but without activating on your machine.

2) The activation server (on Hash Inc's end) wasn't available

"

Now you have a Master0.lic file in your AM folder?"

I will have to check tonight? If I do, what does that mean and how do I proceed?

This is always a good thing to check first.

You an temporarily removed that license file and restart A:M.

It should ask you for your activation code and then you proceed with the activation process all over again. (The same code will be valid on the same machine)

If this doesn't work (i.e. you can't get to an activation screen) then you very likely need to run a small utility (available online at the same place where you can sign up for a trial). Run that program and send the results (your machine ID) to jason@hash.com so he can supply you with a new activation code.

Just to note, during the installation process, at some point, the activation code was input. I think it was on a page that included registration information (name, address, etc.). But there was no separate pop-up after the installation finished (and before AM automatically started) that asked for the activation code.

Tonight I will try the steps you've outlined above and enter the results.

Regards

This does get a bit confusing doesn't it.

Sorry about th.

Just to note, during the installation process, at some point, the activation code was input. I think it was on a page that included registration information (name, address, etc.). But there was no separate pop-up after the installation finished (and before AM automatically started) that asked for the activation code.

That first part is just purchasing of the license which gives you the activation code.

The important one is that pop up that pops upon first starting A:M.

If you got to that point and then got the message... and wasn't able to enter the code... then it sounds like the activation server was down.

BUT... you said you were able to enter A:M and model... that sounds like it was activated to me.

After checking for the Master.lic file and running through that process...

If that doesn't work I would uninstall A:M and try again from the beginning.

If you can't activate A:M then.... you'll very likely need to request a new activation code.

If you paid those $299, you should be able to run it longer than one year, so everything is fine.
The processes is however the same.

1.) First, you may want to check for the master0.lic-file.

If there is one in the v18 installation folder, please CUT and PASTE it to another folder (DO NOT DELETE IT!).

2.) Start A:M (not autostart or anything, just normal start up. This should trigger A:M to ask for the key you received with the mail or you can get from the store when you login and have a look at your previous orders.

3.) If that does not work somehow (it should), you may want to start A:M using Administration-rights. It is possible that A:M is not allowed to write in its own folder (not likely, but it can happen sometimes).

4.) If it doesn't work even with administration rights, you may need to set the folder rights manually. (have a look at the folder in the explorer and right-click on it. Go to its properties and click on "Security". There you need to set any of the users available to "Full access". (or at least you current user and "System")). Now try to open A:M again and see if it is working then.

If that still does not work (which would be quite interesting ;)), please get in touch with support@hash.com.

Let us know how it works out for you :).

See you

*Fuchur*

I was not expecting to get a one year subscription with the purchase as I paid more than the annual subscription fee.

OK, I understand now. The permanent license is indeed an option.

Okay Gents, here's the status:

I did as Fuchur recommended

1. I moved the master0.lic out of the AM v18.0 folder (there was one there)

2. I verified that everyone has full control over the folders involved (this is a single user machine).

3. I started up A:M and it immediately asked for the activation code.

(I was feeling hopeful).

4. I entered the code supplied via the attached .pdf file in an email (I included the dashes between the 4 digit sequences).

5. I hit Enter, and waited, and waited.

6. Got a pop-up saying the following:

Read error from network (-105)

No such file or directory (errno: 2)

7. I definitely have internet access (as is evidence by having this forum up while executing the steps).

8. After I clicked on OK for the pop-up, the Enter Activation code dialog came back up. I tried the code without any dashes or spaces for the 16 digits but got the same result.

And I did try to run Master_64.exe as Administrator.

Does this sound like it's something to continue with?

Just a thought (after the fact):

Because I run a small SSD as my C: for just the OS (and other Microsoft stuff that only installs there), I have put A:M on my 1TB D: drive. I've done this with nearly everything on my computer and it hasn't been a problem for anything else (except for MS). Could A:M be hard coded to look on C: for something? If so, that's a fix that needs to happen.

Because I run a small SSD as my C: for just the OS (and other Microsoft stuff that only installs there), I have put A:M on my 1TB D: drive. I've done this with nearly everything on my computer and it hasn't been a problem for anything else (except for MS). Could A:M be hard coded to look on C: for something? If so, that's a fix that needs to happen.

I doubt it but you could test that with an install to C:

Well I have run v13 on the D drive so I don't really think the drive on which AM is installed is a factor.

I've emailed Support and asked them to review this thread (rather than give the whole history) and how I should proceed. Hopefully they'll have an idea. I know in my software I'll almost immediately know what an error message means but, as these are rather cryptic, perhaps they can tell me the solution.

Guest Guest

Hm... Are you using some kind of firewall or a proxy system to access the internet? If you are you may want to shut that down temporarily till A:M has written the right master0.lic file.

But Jason can create the file for you too, so the mail to support@ should help there ;).

No, nothing installed other than the standard Windows protection and anti-virus software (Symantec). Nothing else has a problem getting data through so I doubt that is it.

I'm hoping Jason can help solve what should have been an no brainer installation.

Let us know if you don't get a response soon.

I'll note that Jason is not 24/7. There should be a response within a day or two.

I'll note that Jason is not 24/7. There should be a response within a day or two.

I'll continue to tinker each night until he does.

Did I understand correctly that if I did an uninstall of what's currently there and then reinstalled the download, the same activation code for the same machine should still work?

Just something for me to possibly try while waiting to make some progress.

Did I understand correctly that if I did an uninstall of what's currently there and then reinstalled the download, the same activation code for the same machine should still work?

I would expect it to work. The code is tied to your hardware and not to a particular time. I think you have nothing to lose by trying.

I would expect it to work. The code is tied to your hardware and not to a particular time. I think you have nothing to lose by trying.

Tried it. Exact same results as last night.

C'mon Jason...

New Issue:

This evening I thought I'd see if anything was new. AND low and behold there is.

I started up AM and the "Enter Activation Key" dialog came up (same as last night) BUT I went ahead and entered it.

When I hit OK, I immediately got a new dialog:

"Activation Key already used."

WHAT??????

I've sent Jason a note to lure his attention to this thread.

In the meantime, it probably won't do anything, but try putting the master0.lic file you removed from your A:M directory back in.

I've sent Jason a note to lure his attention to this thread.

In the meantime, it probably won't do anything, but try putting the master0.lic file you removed from your A:M directory back in.

I thought I'd try that too but didn't mention it. When I restored the file, I got the same error as before with it in:

I was going to see about pulling the 32 bit version but it seems like the activation code is no longer good so I didn't bother.