Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rijklau

Bad real time preview with v18p on WinXP

I'm running v18p 32bit on WinXP with build-in Intel HD graphics. I have updated the Intel driver to the most update version for WinXP (6.14.10.5437)

Both OpenGL3 and OpenGL don't work.

Attached a screen capture of the model window running OpenGL3

I D/L v15, OpenGL works fine.

v17 no luck with OpenGL but Direct3D is very good.

Since v18 don't support Direct3D, I have to work with v17 for now.

When I started out with A:M it's version 2. And I'm proud to run A:M absolutely fast on my cheap PC with a low grade display card which made the SGI guys jealous. I hope A:M continue to take care of those of us still working with cheap and old PCs.

Cheers

Rijk

snap.jpg

Hmmm... that's disappointing. Perhaps our graphics cards mavens can chime in.

It is more about the Intel-Chip, if I am not wrong than the graphic card being older or something like that.

AMD (APU or GPU) and Nvidia (GPU) should work fine with that... there are very cheap, older GPUs from AMD or Nvidia, which should work better than that.

Anyway: XP is quite a security problem today...
if you are using that computer for internet surfing in any way, you might want to think about Win 7 or 10, just in case your system can handle it.

See you

*Fuchur*

If you have an available slot and are not on a laptop, a non-Intel graphics card might be a worthwhile, inexpensive upgrade.

Anyway: XP is quite a security problem today...

That's a good reason to get out of XP.

Well, I've Win 7 laptop and work with a Win 7 workstation in the office. But my "cheap" XP at home is much faster in many aspects and in some operations, Win 7 is plain stupid. So that's why a lot of us would like to keep XPs as long as possible, probably until the computer dies.

I understand. I was on Windows 2000 and didn't really need anything else until A:M stopped supporting it. Then I moved to Windows 7, but it's been fine. I just made it look like Windows 2000.

So, your XP computer is a desktop with an available video slot?

I understand. I was on Windows 2000 and didn't really need anything else until A:M stopped supporting it. Then I moved to Windows 7, but it's been fine. I just made it look like Windows 2000.

So, your XP computer is a desktop with an available video slot?

Yes, the computer is a desktop with extra video slot. But it is old. So old that when I asked my computer supplier for a new video board, he said my motherboard might not support the new card, :o And the new card might not support XP. :o :o (Like the Intel buildin card right now, drivers are available for Win 7 or above but officially for XP is my current version.). An if ever my motherboard stops working, a new motherboard most likely will not work with XP. :o :o :o

That's why I said using XP until my computer dies, then to me I'm stuck with a second grade system. :(

Rijk

In general people tend to say, that Windows 7 is a superior system to XP in many ways... 8 and 8.1 are a different story.

But whatever you like. The biggest problem is, that XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and that there are heavy security holes nowadays in XP-systems which are troublesome at least.

I'd say the system you are using there is using the old AGP connection for graphiccards... there are a few GPUs for that available still, but I am not sure about the driver support.

That really is a problem since MS has stopped supporting XP (which is a 15 year old operation system to there defense... it makes sense to stop supporting that someday and after 15 years I think it is valid to stop supporting it)

Here is a list of those AGP-cards, just in case you want to try it (you should be able to send it back, if it does not work, depending on the retour options they offer you):

For instance these might work:

- https://www.amazon.com/nVIDIA-GeForce-FX5500-Games-Graphics/dp/B01GRJY256/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1470904717&sr=8-6&keywords=agp+graphics+card

- https://www.amazon.com/BFG-Nvidia-Geforce-512MB-Graphics/dp/B000Q9IYN0/ref=sr_1_77?ie=UTF8&qid=1470905331&sr=8-77&keywords=agp+graphics+card

- https://www.amazon.com/Club-Radeon-HD3450-Graphics-CGA-3452/dp/B015SGG01S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1470904717&sr=8-5&keywords=agp+graphics+card

- https://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Radeon-512MB-DVI-I-Graphics/dp/B005DD5BX0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1470904717&sr=8-9&keywords=agp+graphics+card

- https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-4650-DDR2-Video/dp/B003L773PO/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1470905169&sr=8-20&keywords=agp+graphics+card

- https://www.amazon.com/ATI-Radeon-X1600-Pro-512/dp/B000E5VQOU/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1470905169&sr=8-28&keywords=agp+graphics+card

See you

*Fuchur*

For the record... I will NOT be buying Rijk a new computer. :P

It's possible it's an old PCI (not the current PCIe) slot for video.

Where are you located, rijklau?

Hong Kong

Well, I guess that's a bit too far to be sending one of my discarded graphics cards.

But i bet you could find one inexpensively locally, especially as what you need for your mother board is what most people would be tossing out.

Hong Kong

Well, I guess that's a bit too far to be sending one of my discarded graphics cards.

But i bet you could find one inexpensively locally, especially as what you need for your mother board is what most people would be tossing out.

Thanks for the thought. I'm okay with running v17 for now.

Rijk